VMware Cloud Community
GopinathV
Contributor
Contributor

Static IP address on ESXi4

We installed ESXI on AMD Athlon II 630. We have static ip addresses assigned to us from Comcast Business account.

We did the IP configuration, set the primary and secondary DNS servers and the default gateway. We restarted the server few times.

With this static ip address, we are not able to access from any other PC through this ip address.

When we left it to dynamic ip at 10.1.10.10, we are able to access the esxi server from the laptop (which is wireless, but on the same network).

Your help is appreciated.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
18 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums.

What are you trying to make happen. Describe your network and how you have your ESXi host network configured. Don't post your real static addresses.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
GopinathV
Contributor
Contributor

I have vsphere client on the laptop and on this fresh ESXi installation, I am trying to create some VMs.

I am able to do that with the common comcast local domain ip addresses, which is 10.1.10.10.

But when I change it to static IP that we have from comcast, we are not able to ping that IP or access ESXi host through the vsphere client.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

That isn't a description of your network or how you have ESXi configured. Networking isn't any different in a virtual environment than it is in the physical world. Draw out your network setup and post the drawing.

0 Kudos
GopinathV
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, If I am not clear. Its a straightforward network. ESXi is installed on a desktop, which is directly connected to the comcast IP gateway (SMC8014).

We have a network card that is compatible with ESXi (from the list).

As I said, within the local doman, I am able to access the esxi to setup VMs (through 10.1.10.10), whereas the moment I change it to static ip address, the first thing happens is, the default gateway info is lost (it says default gateway not set, even though I did).

So, now when I access it through vsphere client, it errors out saying unreachable.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You can't just plug in an address that is on a different network segment and hope that packets find there way. Apply the comcast address to any computer on your network and you won't be able to ping it. You still haven't described what you are doing or wanting to do and how the network is set up.

0 Kudos
GopinathV
Contributor
Contributor

Thats an ip address assigned to us by comcast.(one of the address in a block of 5 addresses)

All we are trying to do is access the esxi on the desktop through the vsphere client on a pc, using the that static ip address and the credentials.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

It doesn't matter that it is assigned to you. You need some help understanding networking. This isn't an ESXi issue at all. I would suggest that you get some local help laying out your network. Since these are rout-able addresses you can end up with a very insecure internal network unless you understand.

0 Kudos
GopinathV
Contributor
Contributor

I dont know why are you complicating a simple question.

All I have is a brand new ESXi installation, which lets me access through vSphere console, when we leave it at dynamic iP address. In which case, it just assumes one of the ip addresses within my 10.x.x.1 block.

And I change it to a static ip address configuration wiith everything being set. First thing as I told you, it does not hold the default gateway value. Even if I get to console and change the /etc/sysconfig/network file to add a gateway address.

The question is, why wouldn't it hold the default gateway? What setup do I need? I have explained everything I have done, what is the step I am missing?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Even if I get to console and change the /etc/sysconfig/network file

How do you set the IP configuration?

Try changing the IP configuration through the configuration menu on the ESX hosts console.

In "Configure Management Network" --> "IP configuration" you can set IP, subnet mask and gateway.

After setting the desired values run "Test management network".

If this does not work it's most likely a physical network configuration issue.

André

0 Kudos
GopinathV
Contributor
Contributor

I did. Thats the first thing I did. As it was not able to hold default gateway value, when I set it to static ip address configuration, I started reading few forums. One suggested that I try adding the gateway in that file. Ever after that it did not work.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I am really sorry to keep saying this but you just don't understand networking. You can't just stick an address on a network assigned or otherwise. As I have said this isn't an ESXi problem it is networking and a lack of understanding. You haven't provided any real information on your network or setup. I suggested that you draw out your network and post the diagram so that no one has to guess. Again you risk having a very very very very insecure internal network.

0 Kudos
GopinathV
Contributor
Contributor

I do appreciate your patience.

Its not a huge setup.

My AMD Athlon II PC connected directly (through a compatible ethernet card) to the comcast ip gateway to one of its ports.

Through another port in tis gateway, I have a wireless router. I use my laptop wireless to connect to the net thro this router.

These are the only two devices on the network.

1. When I leave the IP configuration to dynamic IP address config, it picks up one of the 10.x.x.10 ip address, the default gateway is fine, and I can use the vsphere client to connect to this host.

2. But when I change it to static ip configuration, plug in the static ip address, and save, it looses the default gateway value, and I am not able to access the esxi host through the vpshere client.

So, what else am I missing here? Thats all I have and I did. If I am missing some other configuration steps, thats what I want to know.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

X out the first 2 octets (left most) and post what you are entering in the ESXi config. What is the WAN addressing on the wireless router? What is the LAN addressing on the wireless router. Can you ping the gateway address from the laptop. If you plug the laptop into the comcast router and configure networking as you want to for ESXi what happens. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AV SOFTWARE AND FIREWALL ENGAGED, If you have another computer that you can afford to loose use that rather than the laptop. Directly exposing a pc will result in Internet attacks immediately.

You do NOT NOT NOT want to set up the ESXi management port using a Comcast fixed address. Use a second NIC and connect to the Wireless LAN if that is protected by the wireless router firewall.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

First of all I want to say that I fully agree with DSTAVERT about security.

If you want to assign a static management IP address, you should use a private/internal IP address like 10.1.10.x. Just make sure it's not one in the configured DHCP address range.

I think the reason why the gateway address does not get saved is that it is not in the correct subnet. You said you have been assigned 5 IP addresses. This would normally lead to a /29 subnet (255.255.255.248). Your gateway address has to be in that subnet, too. Check the documentation you got, to see which subnet mask and gateway address to use.

André

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Comcast usually uses a fixed gateway address on their router that is not part of the five but that may be different in this case.

0 Kudos
GopinathV
Contributor
Contributor

thats right. The gateway address is 10.x.x.x. and the static IP addresses assigned to us are 74.x.x.x.

We took your advice, and assigned a 10.x.x.x. ip address to the esxi host and created a VM with a static address.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You X'd out the wrong end. X out the first 3 octets and post your IP configuration that you use for ESXi.

IP subnet: xxx.xxx.xxx.123

Netmask: 255.255.255.248

Gateway: xxx.xxx.xxx.1

My guess is that ESXi is removing the gateway because it is incorrect. Your gateway address for your fixed address will ABSOLUTELY NOT be a 10.1.10.x address.

You haven't answered my list of questions.

Here is some additional thoughts.

Make sure you use a second NIC in the ESXi host connected to the Wireless network. If the wireless router has VPN access then I would add a fixed address to the WAN side of the wireless router and connect to a Windows management machine behind the wireless side. If it doesn't have VPN you can use port forwarding either RDP or VPN and manage from there.

Add your own router/firewall behind the Comcast one and in front of the ESXi host. You can also use a virtual machine firewall appliance and create a protected network inside that includes your webserver.

0 Kudos
sboddy82
Contributor
Contributor

You may have already fixed the problem, but I ran across this and figured I'd try to post a bit of help in plain english.

So you've got a static ip address from Comcast of 74.xx.xx.xx. That address is the address your 'gateway', whatever piece of equipment that may be, needs to talk to the outside world. However, on the other side of that gateway, is whatever ip address you want, in this case 10.xx.xx.xx. THIS is the ip address for you need to put in the 'gateway' block of any modern system's networking settings to bridge the gap. Depending on installation, you may want to use the built in DHCP client of your wireless router to handle leases to outside systems, but if you're avoiding that, be very careful NOT to input your comcast ip into your 'gateway' ip anywhere except the one machine that communicates to the outside world. That number is (generally) meaningless to your inside network.

Another really common mistake in networking is having a router plugged in downstream of another router when each of them has a built-in DHCP server. Of necessity, one or the other will probably have to be turned off to get your IP addresses working right; they almost always butt heads. And since your 'gateway' connects outside to a static IP, and inside provides a static gateway, you may want to consider ensuring that machine is also not providing DHCP service. It would confuse the wireless router and probably lease an address you didn't want it to. If it does that, then all those machines you set up for a static gateway on the inside would be looking for something that wasn't there, at least on the wireless side of the house.

Incidentally, what I just said is why you should also be very specific when looking for network help.These are the most basic problems that DSTAVERT was looking to check out for you. Here's hoping someone else sees this who needs it.

0 Kudos