VMware Cloud Community
EgbertJ
Contributor
Contributor

Starting with VMware ESXi

Hi,

We like to virtualize our servers (2) and one Win7 computer to one new Dell PowerEdge R720 server.

(32GB memory, 2TB harddisk storage and a 2GB SD card for installing VMware on it)

This includes a Windows 2008 Small Business server and a Windows 2008R2 server.

We like to start with the free VMware ESXi version.

- When starting with this, do I need to create a new Small Business Server from scratch or can I convert existing machine to a VM?

- Can I just keep using this SBS server as we do now or do I need to reconfigure this or add an extra DC or ????

- Can I still use my USB devices when creating backups?

- Instead of creating backups the old way, can I just make a copy or create a snapshot of a VM?

- Are there disadvantages using the machines as VMs?

Thanks for your help,

Egbert

0 Kudos
1 Reply
cyberfed2727
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

- When starting with this, do I need to create a new Small Business Server from scratch or can I convert existing machine to a VM?

--You can use VMware's converter standalone software to perform a P2V. Please use caution when it comes to domain controllers and follow MS best practices.

- Can I just keep using this SBS server as we do now or do I need to reconfigure this or add an extra DC or ????

See above in particular about P2Ving domain controllers.

- Can I still use my USB devices when creating backups?

ESXi 6.x supports USB pass-through, meaning you can connect a USB stick to your ESXi host and have it available to a VM.

- Instead of creating backups the old way, can I just make a copy or create a snapshot of a VM?

A full clone of a VM can be used as a backup. Snapshots are NOT meant to be used as backups and are not designed to function as such. Spend sometime understanding what snapshots actually do before you proceed.

- Are there disadvantages using the machines as VMs?

In most use cases no. Most modern operating systems and software will work just fine on VMs. The advantages are countless.

0 Kudos