VMware Cloud Community
TheAngryHeretic
Contributor
Contributor

Sphere 4.0 & ESX 4.1

I have not seen this topic, so I'll go ahead and put it out here. I hope there is a way to do this, but does anyne know how to license ESX 4.1 with a vSphere 4.0 server?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

You have vSphere license based per socket (physical CPU).

It does not matter if you use the serial for 4.0 or 4.1

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Your vCenter needs to be running 4.1, as part of moving to major releases or updates, you should always upgrade your vCenter server first prior to upgrading your ESX or ESXi hosts. The licensing will be the same for your 4.0 or 4.1 host, just make sure your vCenter is upgrade first

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009,2010

VMware VCP3,4

VMware VCAP4-DCA

VMware scripts and resources at:

Twitter: @lamw

Getting Started with the vMA (tips/tricks)

Getting Started with the vSphere SDK for Perl

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Community

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
NHessonSD21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere 4.0 server = ESX, did you mean vCenter? ESX 4.0 and 4.1 use the same license, and yes, both can be and should be managed my vCenter. If you have 4.0, and are upgrading to 4.1. Then yes, upgrade vCenter first, then your ESX hosts.

0 Kudos
TheAngryHeretic
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the mis-typing, but yes, it is ESX 4.0 and vCenter Server 4.0. I was looking at the vSphere Client title bar as I was typing. I'm not sure when we will be able to get the vCenter Server upgraded. This is my 1st attempt at seeing what the bumps in the road are to upgrading our environment to 4.1. I was thinking there was a way to have ESX 4.1 licensed against vCenter 4.0, but I'll have to go back to the drawing board and find some suitable down time for the vCenter Server 4.1 upgrade.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
NHessonSD21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_compatibility_matrix.pdf

I miss read this doc. I was about to say you could run vcs 4.0 to manage esx 4.1. That is wrong. vcs has to be 4.1. Good luck, Nick

btw, why can't you get vcs upgraded?

TheAngryHeretic
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter will get upgraded, just not sure when. This is a test of ESX 4.1 to see how it will perform in our environment. What I would like to do is have the ESX 4.1 server show up in the listing with all of my other servers when I love into the vCenter Server using the vShpere client. That is the bump in the road I am having.

Mack

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

This is a test of ESX 4.1 to see how it will perform in our environment.

If you have ESX 4.0 you already know how it will perform. 4.1 is a minor update, no major changes.

0 Kudos
NHessonSD21
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I completely agree with RParker. You really don't need to test. But if you must, as i know how some QA departments and processes are. You can use the 30 day eval of 4.1 to run VM's. You really don't need to have VCS to test the performance of ESX.

Nick

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Umm, no.

4.1 is pretty significant. There are notable improvements in installation methods, tech support mode, hypervisor performance, as well as new features like VAAI and SIOC. 4.0 is not a good model for 4.1

--Matt
VCP, VCDX #52, Unix Geek, Storage Nerd

9773_9773.gif

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos