VMware Cloud Community
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sound not working Windows 7

I have some Windows 7 running as VM in vSphere 5.0.  I need to play the sound on the machine where users are connecting to that VM via RDP, but no sound being re-directed to the remote desktop.

What needs to be done in order to play the sound on Windows 7 VMs over RDP? 

thanks in advance.

4 Replies
NickMarshall9
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Rohail,

First of all, make sure there's a soundcard listed in the virtual hardware of the particular VM. If you have that, maybe look at this KB: VMware KB: Enabling sound for Remote Desktop Protocol in a Windows virtual machine

Thanks,

Nick

Book - Mastering VMware vSphere 5.5 Blog - LabGuides.com & NickMarshall.com.au Podcast - vBrownBag.com
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

There is no need for a soundcard in the virtual hardware as NickMarshall9 says.

The remoting technology (in this case RDP) will emulate the soundcard.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
NickMarshall9
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We'll there you go... Always good to learn something new!

Book - Mastering VMware vSphere 5.5 Blog - LabGuides.com & NickMarshall.com.au Podcast - vBrownBag.com
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't have the sound card listed on a VM, I followed the below KB but still no sound coming from VM.. tried with diff laptops same result.. anything I am missing?

HOW TO: Use Group Policy to Permit Users to Redirect and Play Audio in a Remote Desktop Session to ...

0 Kudos