VMware Cloud Community
MNKrantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Some VMs have no network connectivity....

Here is the scenario....

Was upgrading a two host cluster from 4.1 to 5.0. The upgrade of the first node completed without issue. The upgrade of the second host did not complete successfully and I ended up having to run fresh install. Here is the symptom I anow dealing with on the second host...certain VMs (not all) being host on this host do not have network connectivity. Other VMs, residing on this same host, do have network connectivity. When the VMs that are experiencing the connectivity problem are migrated to the first host, they regain network connectivity. The vSwitches are standard and are setup exactly the same on both nodes. As mentioned earlier, some VMs have no network connectivity issue when residing on the second node.

Another odd symptom I have seen with the vm vswitch is that when certain vnics are adds to the switch, they cause brief network interruptions. That is to say is I am pinging a vim, I may get five good replies and then two time outs. With the questionable nics removed, replies are consistent.

The configurations of the physicla swithc ports have remained consistent. The management vswitch works properly.

Any ideas or suggestions guys...other than call support?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
onoski
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would change the vnic cards for those VM that are having trouble with network connectivity and also make sure that the VMware tools are upto date on the VM's.

0 Kudos
MNKrantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I actually discovered the issue about an hour ago. I appears that a couple of the vnics (actually the associated physical nic ports) assigned to the vswitch were causing the issue. When I removed those vnic from the vswitch, everything started responding as it should. I think this may have been a known issue (not by me) because if I recall correctly , these two vnics were not included in the team before I ran the upgrade that failed. Since I had to do a fresh install, after the failure, I just added all the available vnics when I recreated the that vswitch. So all I really did here is discovered why those vnics were not included for myself. :smileylaugh:

Thanks for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
onoski
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Glad to hear you have resolved this issueSmiley Happy

0 Kudos