VMware Cloud Community
CooksterNZ
Contributor
Contributor

Solaris 11 on ESX4i -'Unable to initialize gtk'

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I am having a play with Solaris 11 running within a VM on ESX4i. I know its not supported officially yet but it did seem to install fine (and even the Solaris 10 VMtools installed)

It gets an IP address from our dhcp server and I am able to surf the web.

I am now trying out some of the other Solaris features but I seem to be hitting a brick wall...

When I select System-Administration-Network I am prompted for the root password. I enter it but nothing happens.

Same thing when I select the Package manager, I am prompted for the root password but nothing happens.

I tried running the actual command in a terminal window - /usr/bin/packagemanager --allow-links and I get the following:

/usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:57: GtkWarning: could not open display

unable to initialize gtk

I am a complete newbie at Solaris but I was wondering if anyone else out there has solved this?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
CooksterNZ
Contributor
Contributor

After many hours of searching it turned out to be this......

Initial Root Password After Live CD Installation
After a Live CD installation, the root password is initially set to the same password as the user
account that is created during installation, but it is created in an expired state. In order to work
around the issue described in “Gksu Does Not Report Expired Password (6995127)” on
page 30, immediately change the root password upon your irst login. To do so, type the su
command and enter your password, followed by typing the new root password, twice.
$ su
Password:
su: Password for user ’root’ has expired
New Password:
Re-enter new Password:
su: password successfully changed for root

Everything works now. Hope this saves someone elses bacon 🙂

0 Kudos