VMware Cloud Community
sadafkhan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Software required to get the report of unused VMs

Almost 300 plus VMs are running in my organization. Now, i need to identify those VMs which are not  in use last one month so that I can approach the concern resources against their VMs and get confirmation for removing these unused VMs from host machine.

Kindly help out that which software can provide a required information for performing house keeping of Virtual Infrastructure.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bugblatterbeast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You could try vCenter Operations Manager (vCOPs).  That has the ability to generate various reports including the in-built "Idle Virtual Machines Report" which looks at VM CPU % Idle Time, Disk I/O % Idle Time and Network I/O % Idle Time.

I suppose it may be possible to do something with PowerCLi (Google may be your best friend with this though).

Danny

VCP4/5, VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCA4/5, VCAP-CIA, AWS-CSA, CCNA, MCSE, MCSA

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bugblatterbeast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You could try vCenter Operations Manager (vCOPs).  That has the ability to generate various reports including the in-built "Idle Virtual Machines Report" which looks at VM CPU % Idle Time, Disk I/O % Idle Time and Network I/O % Idle Time.

I suppose it may be possible to do something with PowerCLi (Google may be your best friend with this though).

Danny

VCP4/5, VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCA4/5, VCAP-CIA, AWS-CSA, CCNA, MCSE, MCSA
0 Kudos
homerzzz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I use PowerCLI to determine which VMs have not been logged into in the past 30 days. The same script then calls VC Orchestrator which emails the user to verify if the VM is needed, if not, Orchestrator moves the VMs to a specified folder then deletes them after a specified time period. I also validate with the Idle Machine report out of vcOps.

My search for a good tool to do this came up empty which is why I created my own.

0 Kudos
sadafkhan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Danny. I have gotten the report of idle VMs through vCenter Operation Manager(VCOP 5.7.1).

0 Kudos
hydenzhang
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@ homerzzz

Could you please share the code or script that running on PowerCLI?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
SNJY
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Homerzzz,

Could you please share the code or script that running on PowerCLI - it will be really helpful.

Thanks.

0 Kudos