VMware Cloud Community
HMAAdmin
Contributor
Contributor

Software re-activation when moving VMs

Hello, I've got a question about moving VMs to different VMhosts.

Windows normally detects processor changes and makes you re-activate their software when it detects a change in processor. There are other server applications that make you re-activate when a new processor is detected as well.

Does this still happen when moving VMs from one VMhost to another with identical processors?

Does this happen when moving a VM to a host with a slightly different processor (i.e. slightly faster, different brand AMD vs Intel)?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

If all the hosts in the cluster have the same CPU family, you shouldn't be prompted.  I've never had a problem with vMotions causing the need to reactive apps installed in the VMs. 

Anything that has a license tied to a MAC address, you can set a static MAC that doesn't change when the VM is vMotioned between hosts. 

VMware KB: Setting a static MAC address for a virtual NIC

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
HMAAdmin
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information! Although I'm still a little unclear; when you say "family", if I have two AMD Opterons that are slightly different speeds, will that trigger re-activation?

Or are all AMDs in the same "family"?

0 Kudos