VMware Cloud Community
thomasross
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Software modules published by third party vendors will be removed - ESXi4 to ESXi5.1 upgrade using Update Manager

I get a warning that a net vge, scsi and ixgbe driver will be removed when attempting to upgrade from ESXi4 .1 to esxi 5.1.

If I select remediate I am told that to retain update versions of third-party modules, remediate using a custom ESXi5.1 image that contains the appropriate third-party VIBs. You can use vSphere ESXi Image Builder CLI to create cutom ESXi images that contain additional VIB's.

But, I did that. I indeed used the ESXi Image Builder CLI to add in the updated software packages from HP and from Intel and used that custom profile to create a custom ISO and uploaded that to Update Manager.

I have a ProLiant DL380 G6 server with Intel 10G NICs.

Why am i still getting this message?

Thx,

Tom

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

I suspect there are depreciated drivers currently on your host that will be removed as part of upgrade process. I had this on all my DL380 G5 upgrades from 4.1 to 5.0 and there were no issues for me. I upgraded using VUM, and had to check the checkbox confirming that this was ok - I can't remember which screen it was on (it was ages ago) buti think it was early in the wizard process. Just install the HP offline bundle and NMI sourcing driver once you've upgraded the host.

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
0 Kudos
thomasross
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, Jon. That is reassuring.

I built a custom ISO containing these offline bundles. But, I will be prepared to install them along with the upgraded Intel driver if that is needed.

So, I am guessing this is a message based on the drivers existing on your host, and if you have done what was recommended in this message, ie.. build a custom ISO using Image Builder and include the newer drivers, you should be good.

Thanks again,

Tom

0 Kudos