VMware Cloud Community
MacSS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Software Update issues in OSX

I have had issues updating OSX 10.8.1 on my VMs to 10.8.2. The automated software update doesn't work because the VM's don't advertise as a specified piece of Apple Hardware.

I attempted to manuall apply the updates, downloading them from the Apple Downloads site, however, I receive an error during launch of the updates that they are not for the current machine in use.

Has anyone had this same issue, and what did you do to apply the software updates?

Thanks in advance!

- Gian

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This looks suspicious:

Install OS X Mountain Lion[328]: @(#)PROGRAM:Install  PROJECT:Install-729

Install OS X Mountain Lion[328]: @(#)PROGRAM:IA  PROJECT:InstallAssistant-351
Install OS X Mountain Lion[328]: Hardware: VMware7,1 @ 2.19 GHz (x 2), 4096 MB RAM
Install OS X Mountain Lion[328]: Running OS Build: Mac OS X 10.8.1 (12B2080)

I think that is a "machine-specific" build number of Mac OS (although Apple seems to be doing some strange things with those numbers lately, and yours does not match any on that list).  The released build of Mac OS X 10.8.1 is build 12B19, according to the official Apple documentation.

Did you install from the software image (or Recovery HD) that came with the Macmini6,2 or was downloaded by the Macmini6,2?  Those machine-specific images generally don't work properly in a virtual machine, because they are supposed to be tied to the host hardware.  If it's a machine-specific image, I'm surprised that it installed at all... usually they refuse very early in the installation process.

Do you have access to media for the original release of Mountain Lion 10.8.0 GA (12A269)?  That might behave better...

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Apple licensing equires OSX to run on Apple Hardware - it osounds like you are running ESXi on non-Apple hardware - for the updates to work you will need to run ESXi on a MAC Server -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
MacSS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running it on an Apple Mac Mini using esxi 5.1

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Gian,

This is on your Macmini6,2 with our not-entirely-official engineering fix for the ESXi+Macmini6,2 SMC problem, right?  Or are you using one of the *ahem* other workarounds for running your Mac OS guest on that host hardware?

What's the exact error message you're getting through each of the two update methods (automatic and manual)?  From which exact URL did you fetch the 10.8.2 manual updater?

I haven't had any problems installing the 10.8.2 combo update in a VM automatically and manually, and although I'm not 100% sure I have updated from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2, I think I did at some point... There's a chance it may have always been a direct installation of 10.8.2 onto 10.8.0.

It might be worth trying to download OS X Mountain Lion Update v10.8.1 and see if you can (re-)install 10.8.1 to clear up the problem.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
MacSS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey Darius, happy new year!

It is indeed on a 6,2 mac mini with the not-entirely-official engineering fix for the ESXi+Macmini6,2 SMC problem.

The error I get is "OS X Update can't be installed on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for this update."

I tried the 10.8.1 update, and got the same error. I have tired the built in software update, but it just says "There are no updates available"

Maybe I need to just make a new iso and do a new install.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Gian!  A happy and prosperous new year to you too!

Inside the Mac OS guest, there should be a logfile at /var/log/install.log.  Usually failures of the type you're seeing there will be logged into that file, so look if there are any hints in there... If in doubt, post that logfile as an attachment and I'll take a look.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
MacSS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is the log. I looked through it, but I didn't see the issue.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This looks suspicious:

Install OS X Mountain Lion[328]: @(#)PROGRAM:Install  PROJECT:Install-729

Install OS X Mountain Lion[328]: @(#)PROGRAM:IA  PROJECT:InstallAssistant-351
Install OS X Mountain Lion[328]: Hardware: VMware7,1 @ 2.19 GHz (x 2), 4096 MB RAM
Install OS X Mountain Lion[328]: Running OS Build: Mac OS X 10.8.1 (12B2080)

I think that is a "machine-specific" build number of Mac OS (although Apple seems to be doing some strange things with those numbers lately, and yours does not match any on that list).  The released build of Mac OS X 10.8.1 is build 12B19, according to the official Apple documentation.

Did you install from the software image (or Recovery HD) that came with the Macmini6,2 or was downloaded by the Macmini6,2?  Those machine-specific images generally don't work properly in a virtual machine, because they are supposed to be tied to the host hardware.  If it's a machine-specific image, I'm surprised that it installed at all... usually they refuse very early in the installation process.

Do you have access to media for the original release of Mountain Lion 10.8.0 GA (12A269)?  That might behave better...

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
MacSS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Crap, that's totally it. I have over 15 different disk images and I bet I accedentally used one for the new MacBook Pro Retina or Mac Mini.

I am going to try to overlay a generic 10.8 disk image and that should fix it.

Nice catch on that one!

- Gian

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I suggest that you award Darius the points as he found the root cause of your issue.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
MacSS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That was the fix...to just reinstall a genereic (app store download) version of OSX 10.8. I overlayed it on the current install, so it just modified the changed files, and presto. Back to normal.

0 Kudos