VMware Cloud Community
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Socket and Cores per socket ESXi 6.5 peculiarity

Hello all, I know this kind of question comes up now and then but I went through the posts already and could not find an answer to what I am experiencing.

First question:

... about this post:

Virtual Machine vCPU and vNUMA Rightsizing - Rules of Thumb - VMware VROOM! Blog - VMware Blogs

where basically it shows the first table of suggested vCPU configurations and it says:

Example:

This table outlines how a virtual machine should be configured on a dual socket 10 core physical host to ensure an optimal vNUMA topology and performance regardless of vSphere version where the assigned memory is less than or equal to a pNUMA node.

I have HP ProLiant BL660c Gen8 Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-4640 v2 @ 2.20GHz

4 Sockets

10 cores per socket

HT Enabled

vSphere Enterprise Plus license

If I want a VM to span the sockets available in a numa node, let's say 16, according to the table I should set 2 CPU and 8 Cores per socket. However in ESXi 6.5 if I set 2 CPUs then in the Cores per socket dropdown I only get 1 and 2. Nothing else! Is that table valid for all versions except 6.5?

Second questions:

in 6.5 if I understand correctly the suggested configuration is to use sockets over cores per sockets. That is because the ESXi 6.5 selects automatically the best vNuma configuration to present to the guest OS. The cores per socket is there for licensing issues mostly. Am I correct?

Third question:

if I have VMs with hardware level 11 and ESXi hosts 6.5, will the automatic vNuma configurations take place or does it have to be on hardware level 13?

many thanks in the first place!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Biemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

You first select the number of vCPU, then how much core's per socket. So in your example enter 16 cpu's, then you will see that you can select 8 cores per socket.

You not need to upgrade to hardware level 13, unless if you reach the memory limit.

Karl

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Biemer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

You first select the number of vCPU, then how much core's per socket. So in your example enter 16 cpu's, then you will see that you can select 8 cores per socket.

You not need to upgrade to hardware level 13, unless if you reach the memory limit.

Karl

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

Consider marking this response as "Correct" or "Helpful" if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

ok, thanks!

the "CPU" field and the "Sockets" field beside the "Cores per socket" got me confused.

0 Kudos