VMware Cloud Community
Drpros
Contributor
Contributor

Snapshots missing from manager after canceling. V5.5

I noticed that a vm had 15 snapshots, I tried  delete all but it it kept looping at 99% (0%-99% every 10 mins). I cancelled and my snapshots vanished from manager. I created  new snapshot and then deleted it and that worked fine... in my datastore the deltas and 00001 02 03 vmdks etc still exist. I ran rvtools to determine orphans then tried to move these to a different temp folder but they are locked.

How do I reclaim space and delete or consolidate these files?

Thx

0 Kudos
13 Replies
mcrape
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you checked vCenter to see if you can consolidate the snapshots through there? See VMware KB: Consolidating snapshots in vSphere 5.x/6.0 for reference.

0 Kudos
Drpros
Contributor
Contributor

Delete all doesn't consolidate? It does say, yes to consolidation from vcentet... does below look correct?

2tb file?

1446049691502133907489.jpg

I'm newish to VMware but not to tech world..

0 Kudos
MKBA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you try this command

vmware-cmd /vmfs/volumes/UUID/VMNAME/VMNAME.vmx removesnapshots

This will delete all the snapshot of the particular vm.

0 Kudos
MKBA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Some more information about snapshot deletion

Consolidate Snap Shot OR Delete the snapshot we don't need

0 Kudos
Drpros
Contributor
Contributor

File not found is the response I received.

0 Kudos
Drpros
Contributor
Contributor

I ran cmd from putty shell.

0 Kudos
mcrape
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would suggest following the steps in this article (VMware KB: Determining if there are leftover delta files or snapshots that VMware vSphere or Infrast...) to confirm that you do have a lingering snapshot.

From there, why don't you try and delete the snapshot via the command line as outlined here: VMware KB: Committing snapshots when there are no snapshot entries in the Snapshot Manager

0 Kudos
Drpros
Contributor
Contributor

This is the error I receive when consolidating....

lwaerror.jpg

Shows LWADC2.lwa.local-000002.vmd as disk image when editing the VM.

I also tried moving again, a suspected orphan and below is the message... RVtools gives me a big list of orphans, instead of deleting I tried moving, just in case...

0009.png

0 Kudos
mcrape
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you by chance using Veeam for backup? I have experienced this error message (as have others) where Veeam isn't able to release the VM when it snapshots it. A couple of examples:

0 Kudos
Drpros
Contributor
Contributor

No veeam. Using Nova on remote PC to backup VMs... Another image showing the deltas....

deltas.jpg

vim-cmd vmsvc/snapshot.get 9

Get Snapshot:

Returns nothing...

0 Kudos
mcrape
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you licensed for Storage vMotion? You can try using that to move the VM to a new VMDK.

Speaking of backups: do you have a good backup of this machine in case things go South?

0 Kudos
Drpros
Contributor
Contributor

Backup of 2TB VM took 36hours. 15MB/s - Yes.

Is there a trial of vMotion?

0 Kudos
mcrape
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You would have to download and install a new trial version of ESXi.

What version of vSphere are you running? Or is it just a ESXi host that you have?

Do you have a support contract?

0 Kudos