ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Snapshots - Delete All - Will I lose Data since last snapshot?

Posted Apr 03, 2011 08:20 PM

I took a snapshot May 7 of last year.  It appears to be the only Snapshot.  If I select Delete All... Will I lose any Data?

Here is my Datastore and the files in it.  Will I run out of Space in the process?

Just to be clear... The server has been running in Production since the snapshot shown on May 7 and I DO NOT want to lose the data.  I need the server to stay in the state it is in today but free up space to add another VM to the Host.

• 2.  RE: Snapshots - Delete All - Will I lose Data since last snapshot?

Posted Apr 03, 2011 08:27 PM

Don't worry.IMO  "Delete All" should be renamed to "Commit All" since this is what it does. I commits all snapshots to the base disk, you will not loose any data.

André

• 3.  RE: Snapshots - Delete All - Will I lose Data since last snapshot?

Posted Apr 03, 2011 08:30 PM

Important note: How much free disk space do you have on the datatstore? Depending on the ESX(i) build you are running you may temporarily need up to 8 GB for the consolidation.

André

• 4.  RE: Snapshots - Delete All - Will I lose Data since last snapshot?

Posted Apr 03, 2011 08:59 PM

I am running ESXi 3.5 build 226117.  I have 72.7GB of free space.  I was mostly afraid of the delete process as I made a mistake before on a VM containing Exchange and messed up the VM.  This is an important DB Server with about 4db's on it so... hence my concern.

• 5.  RE: Snapshots - Delete All - Will I lose Data since last snapshot?
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 03, 2011 09:16 PM

With this build you should not even need the additional disk space, since the important change with consolidating snapshots was done in Update 5. You should be able to consolidate the 4 snapshots (2 on each virtual disk) without issues. If you get a timeout error in the GUI, don't panic. This can happen if the snapshot consolidation takes longer as expected. Just let the ESXi host finish it's work.

André

PS: If you are concerned, run the snapshot consolidation after a full backup of the databases.