VMware Cloud Community
beovax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Snapshot removal

Hi,

We have an issue with an SQL server when removing snapshots. We are using veeam to backup the virtual machine using change block tracking. There is a lot of data change and the backup takes around 1.5 hours. When the snapshot removes we lose a lot of pings while the snapshot commits, which causes all sorts of problems with the customer applications (they are a 24/7 outfit)

We currently have 4 vdisks.

1. System

2. Databases

3. Logs

4. Backups

Our plan is to move the backup target to a UNC path to reduce the backup window (backups are currently 30+ GB) hopefully reducing the snapshot size.

The second step which is what we are not sure about is to create multiple vDisks on seperate virtual SCSI adapters and seperate the database and log files across these so instead of having 2 disks we would have 6.

Would having multiple vDisks improve snapshot perfromance in terms of deleting/commiting or is this going to make this worse?

We dont see disk performance issues with the current setup only when removing snapshots

Thanks in advance

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

this is a very common issue on a very busy server. i was told that upgrading to latest vsphere would make the handling of snapshot better. anyway the last i log a call to veeam, they provided alot of info, and some work around. i guess it's a good time to contact them again.

0 Kudos
beovax
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I asked Veeam before about this issue with another VM. They forwarded a few VMware KB articles but nothing that really helped. I will ask them again just to see if anything has changed. I will post any information here

0 Kudos