VMware Cloud Community
heinzel0302
Contributor
Contributor

Snapshot Space Representation Question

Hi All,

I have a question concerning Snapshot Space representation in the VI-Client. (We are using ESXi4.1 U3 and Vcenter 4.1.)

I activated a Snapshot for a VM which consists of 2 vHDD (50 & 100 GB) and 8 GB vRAM. According to the VI-Client the Snapshot Space was 85,16GB. When checking the files on the coresponding LUN the Space actually used for Snapshot files (<VM_name>-000001-delta.vmdk, <VM_name>_1-000001-delta.vmdk, <VM_name>-Snapshotxx.vmsn & vmsn-Listfile) was only 37,9 GB.

From what is this mismatch coming from? Do I miss something here?

Thanks for your help, thoughts and ideas.

Best...Andreas

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

According to the VI-Client the Snapshot Space was 85,16GB.

Where in the vSphere Client are you seeing this value?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
heinzel0302
Contributor
Contributor

You can see it if you click the "Storage Views" Tab of the VM in the VI-Client. I have attached a Screenshot.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Is this VM the only one on the listed datastore with a snapshot on it?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
heinzel0302
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The numbers are strange anyway, 1TB capacity, 195GB used and 175GB free!? Did you already try to update the view?

Do you use thin provisioned LUNs on your storage system?

André

0 Kudos
heinzel0302
Contributor
Contributor

The Numbers you mentioned are not strange. The "195GB used" only represents the amount of storage Space that this one machine on the LUN uses. Of course there are more Machines on the LUN. The "FreeSpace" ist the number of TOTAL Free-Space on that LUN. So these number fits.

But what I also noticed now is that the "Virtual-Disk Space" Number is odd. It should represent the Size of the Virtual Disks of that machine (which are 50 & 100 GB >> 150 GB in total)

So actually I am quite confused by the numbers in VI-Client.

Best...Andreas

P.S. No, we do not thin provision our LUNs

0 Kudos
heinzel0302
Contributor
Contributor

Noone any more thoughts on that?

0 Kudos