VMware Cloud Community
Sakkanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Snapshot Restore

created a snapshot of VM server before patching the server.

server got one disk of 70 GB and the harddisk was mentioned as servername-000001.VMDK after snapshot was taken.

Since we had issues after patching restored the snapshot and powered on the server.After powered on still the snapshot is showing in the snapshot manager but harddisk is now pointing to harddisk servername-000002.vmdk

please some let me know why after restoring the snapshot , a new snapshot is available and can i delete the snapshot. what will happen if i delete the snapshot.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I can't tell you why there's a second snapshot.

Anyway, when reverting to a snapshot, the data in this snapshot .vmdk file will be discarded, but the file itself will remain (as if it is a new snapshot).

If your VM is currently running in the expected state, you can safely hit "Delete All" from the snapshot manager.

André

0 Kudos
Sakkanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Tested it in different VM servers and i am seeing the same snapshot description in snapshot manager  and the harddisk is now pointing to servername-00002.vmdk. browsed Vm server folder in datastore and i could not find the file servername-000001 and it is having servername-000002.vmdk file only

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Which ESXi version do you use?

It looks like its doing the same thing, just a little bit differently. Data in <vmname>-000001.vmdk is discarded by delting the complete file, and another new snapshot file <vmname>-000002.vmdk is created.

Anyway, if the VM is running on a snapshot, and it is in the desired/expected state, you can delete the snapshot(s) from the Snapshot Manager. This will merge the delta data from the active snapshot .vmdk file into the base .vmdk file, and then delete the snapshot file.

André

0 Kudos
Sakkanan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vsphere 6.0 version.

previously i have done the restore of snapshot in older version.It will revert and no snapshot will be available.

Is this a new feature in 6.x

0 Kudos