VMware Cloud Community
behbhelpdesk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

SnapShots cannot be removed on 5.5 with Veeam SnapShots

I had a situation where I had to recover a production VM from Veeam and in order to get it working (ASAP) I had to point the hard drive settings to a delta disk.

Currently the virtual disk is set to: [SSD3] Citrix-XXX-1_restored/Citrix-XXX-1-000002.vmdk.

It got the VM to boot and people have using it fine, but Veeam when it does it's backup creates a snapshot and then deletes. This process fails. Now I can't delete any snapshots or all snapshots either. They fail with a "A general system error occurred: vim.fault.Generic-VMConfigFault".

This is what the files look like in the datastore. Not sure what my options are. Any recommendations?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Browse the VM folder on datastore, you will find snapshots descriptor file with name vmname.vmsd. Rename it to vmname.vmsd.old or something different.

Then Create a new snapshot > Then delete all from snapshot manager. This will commit new snapshot as well existing snapshot. Then delete any .vmsn or .vmsd files you find in VM folder as they are no longer usable.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Browse the VM folder on datastore, you will find snapshots descriptor file with name vmname.vmsd. Rename it to vmname.vmsd.old or something different.

Then Create a new snapshot > Then delete all from snapshot manager. This will commit new snapshot as well existing snapshot. Then delete any .vmsn or .vmsd files you find in VM folder as they are no longer usable.

behbhelpdesk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks vijayrana968​! Can I do this while the VM is running and it won't risk any of my data?

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yes, you can do that.

0 Kudos
behbhelpdesk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. That did the trick! Much appreciated.