VMware Cloud Community
dliberty
Contributor
Contributor

Small business going virtual

Hello guys!

We're a small company with 12 employees currently running SBS 2003 Standard. In addition to the standard SBS server roles, we also have a bunch of other 3rd party software (CRM, etc) running on this server. This "server" is actually a Pentium 4 PCwe set up a few years ago when we started the company and it seems likeit's finally starting to choke (CPU and memory usage is very high).Also, our 3rd party software provider has demanded that we provide a dedicated 2003 server (or VM) for their applications and offload themfrom the SBS. We realized it's time to upgrade the server. Since we're on a very tight budget we could not afford to purchase 2 servers so we were considering a virtualization solution. One VM would run the SBS 2003 server and the other would run the "line of business" server with 3rd party software. This week we finally made a step forward and purchased a new Dell R710 server but a lot of questions still remain open. I am posting them here hoping to get as many answers as possible Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance to all those who can help.

1. What RAID setup should we use? Our new server has 4 x 2.5" 300GB 10k RPM drives. 600GB of storage should suffice (since we currently do pretty well with 150) so we can go with either RAID 5 or RAID 10.

2. I'm assuming this has been asked many times before in various forms, but should we install ESXi on a flash USB drive or the disk array? I understand the R710 supports "Embedded ESXi" yet at the time of ordering the only options available were for embedded ESXi v3.5 at an additional cost so we skipped that.

3. As to backup, I'm totally confused. There are so many solutions out there I kinda got lost. We currently have both Backup Exec v11 and

Backup Exec System Recovery v7 installed on the SBS 2003. Moving to a virtual server configuration probably requires some modifcations to this setup so I can backup both VMs. A full image based backup is important since we can't afford the downtime of reinstalling the OS and software. This is why we purchased BE System Recovery for image based backup and BE for file backup (I'm paranoid so I do both). Offsite backup is also important - we previously used tape drives and a offsite rotation schedule but with the new server we'll switch to portable external hard drives (since purchasing a new tape drive is not on our budget and the previous one was internal and low capacity). What are the changes required to keep our backup intact?

4. Should I use pre-allocated storage for each VM or dynamic allocation?

Thanks in advance,

Danny

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You are probably going to get far too many opinions on this. There are several things I would do before you try to make any decision. Take the online training class. There is also a webstartfor esxi. Then spend some time setting up your new server and practicing what you learned. After you get some experience you will be better able to listen to any advice and make an informed decision.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
dliberty
Contributor
Contributor

Could you give me some direction with the second question? I don't want to start installing today and then re-install everything in a couple of weeks...

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Installation is a 5 minute task. Either USB or HD is fine. There are many opinions as to which is best. I personally like USB. If you install to USB you don't have RAID protection, however, server manufacturers are moving in that direction. I believe they would have discontinued that option if there were high failure rates. Don't go into any production until you are familiar and comfortable.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

As for backup your current setup will work just fine. There are other options of course but what you have will work.

0 Kudos