VMware Cloud Community
RazvanVladVCP
Contributor
Contributor

Slow upload speed on vm

Hello all,

I have a strange situation. I have two virtual machines on an ESXi host. One of them is acting as a gateway for the other one by doing NAT with iptables. Both virtual machines have linux (centos) installed as OS. If these two virtual machines are on the same physical host the upload on the NATed vm is extremely slow. If I vmotion one of them on another host, everything works just fine.

The same thing happens on ESXi 4, 4.1, 5. I created other scenarios using freshly installed vms and using distributed and standard switches.

Does anybody else have the same problem?

Thanks,

Razvan Stoica

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

That is odd - if the two VMs are on the same host and on the same virtual switch the network transfer speeds shoudl be fairly quick-

Can you provide more information on how the netwrotk is configured in your environment including vswitch configuraiton, physical NIC speeds etc -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

How do you have the port groups/vSwitches configured? What are the security settings on them (vSwitches and port group(s))?? How many pNICs do the hosts have?? How do you have the host network configured??

0 Kudos
RazvanVladVCP
Contributor
Contributor

I thought that too, that it would be faster if they are on the same host.

Every host has two netwok cards that belongs to a distributed switch configured with default settings.

I tried to use a standard switch as well but wit the same results.

Thank you,

Razvan

0 Kudos
RazvanVladVCP
Contributor
Contributor

How do you have the port groups/vSwitches configured?

Standard configuration, just vlans defined.

What are the security settings on them (vSwitches and port group(s))??

I haven't modified any security settings.

How many pNICs do the hosts have??

Two pnics on every host teamed.

How do you have the host network configured??

What do you want to know?

Thank you,

Razvan

0 Kudos