VMware Cloud Community
jparnell
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Slow to open console

HI, i've just installed a new ESXi 4 environment. One thing I am having trouble with is how long it takes to open the console on any of the virtual machines. Its taking approx 25seconds from clicking 'open console' to something being displayed. Our ESXi 3..5 environment only takes a few seconds. Is this normal? Its the same wheter i connect directly to the host or through vCenter.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Have you looked through your local VI client logs.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
drgarner
Contributor
Contributor

I have just upgraded ESXi from v3.5 to v4.0 and am having the exact same problem when I select a guest from the inventory list and then click the Console tab. Nothing appears in the Console window for about a minute and then it suddenly starts working. While this is happening I can select any guest in the inventory and the same problem happens with the Console tab. It is interesting to note that I can right-click on a guest and select Open Console and a separate Console window will come up and work just fine. While using this second console window eventually the Console window in the base vSphere Client will start working. At this point I get the top banner notification about there being two connections to the console. I can then close the separately opened Console window and continue using the Console tab of the vSphere client without issue. I did not have this issue at all with v3.5 VMware Infrastructure Client. I needed to upgrade so I could run 64-bit guests, This sounds like a bug. Does anyone know of a way to fix this behavior?

Thanks,

Dave Garner

0 Kudos