VMware Cloud Community
M__Y_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Slow performance with P410i need hardware upgrade?

Hi,

I saw this chapter on the release notes (http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_esx40_vc40_rel_notes.html):

"Slow performance during virtual machine power-On or disk I/O on ESX/ESXi on the HP G6 Platform with P410i or P410 Smart Array Controller

Some of these hosts might show slow performance during virtual machine power on or while generating disk I/O. The major symptom is degraded I/O performance, causing large numbers of error messages similar to the following to be logged to /var/log/messages.

Workaround: Install the HP 256MB P-series Cache Upgrade module: http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.asp?mfg_partno=462968-B21&pagemode=ca&jumpid=in_r3924/kc"

Has someone encountered this problem? I would like to know if this problem appears with heavy disk I/O of the service console (in its vmdk files?).

Regards.

M.Y.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JayStone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We recently purchased a ML350 G6 with 3x 146GM 15k SAS drives and the base P410i controller. I was dismayed when deploying a VM from a 20GB template took 7 hours and slowed the other VM running on the box to a crawl. We added the 512MB cache with batter and the difference is like night and day. Deploying from the same template now completes in under 15 minutes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

is it applies to p700 also ??

0 Kudos
JayStone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We recently purchased a ML350 G6 with 3x 146GM 15k SAS drives and the base P410i controller. I was dismayed when deploying a VM from a 20GB template took 7 hours and slowed the other VM running on the box to a crawl. We added the 512MB cache with batter and the difference is like night and day. Deploying from the same template now completes in under 15 minutes.

0 Kudos
M__Y_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback.

0 Kudos