VMware Cloud Community
Safe001
Contributor
Contributor

Slow performance from ESXi 4.1

Hi

I'm looking for some help to diagnose very slow performace on a HP DL385 G7 server and Windows 2008 R2 guest

The 2008 Server R2 is guest on a VMserver ESXi 4.1.  The server is a HP DL385 with 2 12 core processors and 32GB

I have played around with 1/2/4 processors in the guest as well as 4/8/16 and 32Gb Ram for the guest but it makes no difference.

The server has SQL Installed and runs a CMS system.

All PCs on the network run a shortcut to this 2008 server via a share, and all pcs open the application in 2 seconds.  The 2008R2 server is also a TS server, and when you run the shortcut from the 2008 Server it takes between 7 - 9 seconds to open, and runs very slow compared to a standard workstation on the network.

I have restored the server to a Workstation using Shadow Protect and the workstation opens the CMS software in about 3 seconds, so I know the server OS is fine.

I then tried to restore the OS to a second VM server (HP DL360 G5 Server) and again the CMS software took 7 - 9 seconds to open, so it looks like a VMWare ESXi issue.  The only thing the 2 HP servers have in common is the P410 array controller.  they both have 512 cache and a battery Backup as I know without the battery thet controllers can be very slow.

Has anyone seen this before, or could suggest a possible fix?

Many thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
11satya
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

have you followed this one

http://www.vmware.com/support/vsphere4/doc/vsp_esxi41_u1_rel_notes.html

Safe001
Contributor
Contributor

Hi 11Satya

I hadn't see that link, so I ran through the instructions and upgraded the server to update01, restarted and intstalled VM tools but sadly no difference 😞

I built the server in Oracle Virtual Box running on a Toshiba laptop, and the server runs great and opens the app in less than 3 seconds.  So I know the OS is config is good, it's either VMWare or HP hardware (P410)  I have an idental G7 385 server that is used by a different customer.  i will restore to this one and see what happens.

Meanwhile if you have any other thoughts....

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Safe001
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I have found the solution to this problem.

If anyone is running ESXi on an HP server, I would highly recommend reading this document!

It has massivly increased the VM Guests speed!!!!

Basically, if this link ever gets removed, go to the servers ILO, power settings and chnage to power save mode to

0 Kudos