VMware Cloud Community
ericsl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Slow network throughput on Dell T430 with Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5720 NIC

Hello All,

Trying to resolve slow network throughput (9000 KBps max) on a system with the following configuration:

• vSphere 5.5.0 U2, 2068190 (Dell Version: A00,Build#2068190)
  • Dell PowerEdge T430 with 6 CPU's x 1.598 GHz (E5-2603)
  • Onboard Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5720 NIC
  • 2 Seagate 3TB HD
  • Dell PERC H330 in disk pass-through mode
  • 2 Local Datastores using the Seagate 3TB discs
  • 1 NFS datastore on the network

Methods and Results

• Uploading files using the Browse Datastore from a local machine to the local datastore: 6000 KBps as measured in Network Performance on the host
  • Migrating or moving a VM to the local datastore: 9000 KBps as measured in Network Performance on the host
  • Copying files using Browse Datastore from the NFS Datastore to the local Datastore: 9000 KBps as measured in Network Performance on the host

These results were the same when the local discs were connected via the H330 or the local AHCI SATA ports.

Is the anyway to get this NIC working properly? I know I could get an add-in card but the system is in the compatibility guide so it should work properly...

TIA,

~eric

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With the 2 Seagate 3TB HDDs and the Dell PERC H330 in disk pass-through mode, I'm not sure whether the issue is really related to the network adapter. IMO it's more an issue with using low I/O disks in pass-trough mode. To determine whether you have a network issue, you need to use a tool which doesn't rely on other components like the disks. see e.g. Measuring network throughput - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

André

0 Kudos
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos