VMware Cloud Community
NX47
Contributor
Contributor

Slow/laggy graphics performance for 2008 R2 & 2012 R2 Terminal Services thin clients on ESXi 6.5

Greetings-

Like the subject says, we're seeing graphics lag (e.g. YouTube, or, say, the Ribbons screen saver) on our WYSE thin clients when RDPing to either 2008 R2 or 2012 R2 Terminal Services VMs that are running on ESXi 6.5 hosts.  For example, playing a fullscreen (1280x1024) YouTube video starts out OK, but then the lag builds to the point where, after about 30 seconds of play, hitting pause or closing the browser takes a few seconds before the action is actually complete.  Ditto for the Ribbons screen saver.

VM and host resources are not constrained in any way; we don't note any spikes in CPU, memory, or storage i/o.

PCs RDPing to the same Terminal Servers do not experience this lag, presumably because their GPUs are more powerful than those on the thin clients.

We're not trying to get superfast video performance out of these things, but playing videos & screen savers shouldn't show this much lag.

I'm open to any thoughts & suggestions....

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NagangoudaPatil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Update ESXi hosts with latest Patches and install VMware Tools on Virtual Machines. Do you have any custom Graphics card on your ESXi hosts ?

0 Kudos
NX47
Contributor
Contributor

My hosts are running 6.5 build 4887370; is there a newer version?  If so, where may I get it?

VMware tools are already installed, and we don't have any custom GPUs on our hosts.  The CPUs are E5-4669 v4 @ 2.20GHz Xeons.

0 Kudos