VMware Cloud Community
mephistopoa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Slow cold migration over 10GB network

Hi there,

I've been troubleshooting a bunch of servers that have a single 10GB connection each, as when moving VMs around using cold migration, the transfer speeds are between 400-500mbit. I've got SSDs in RAID-0 for testing on all these hosts that can easily do 12GB/sec (1000MB+) reads/writes so I don't have storage as a bottleneck. Using vMotion I can get the VMs moved at around 6-7Gbit, but when using cold migration, it doesn't go further than 400-500mbit, even though it is going to the same storage, same network and same physical wire/switch/NIC. I've tested across 5 different hosts, ranging from Dell R515, to R710 and R720XD, all of them with decent RAID controllers. For some reason it seems ESXi artificiality limits the network speed for cold migration (as for testing I've got one NIC on each server and they are for both management and vMotion), as the graphs never spike up or down, it is very much flat.

I checked alreayd the virtual switches and nothing is using limits. I don't know where else to look at. Also I tested SMB traffic in between VMs hosted in different hosts, connected physically by the 10GB network and I can get 6-7Gbit on file transfers, so it mean it works for everything, but cold migration. I had this problem in the past where out of nowwhere a 1GB connection would not go faster then 300mbit for example, no matter what you do. Then out of now where it would reach 1GB speeds. No reason why!

I'm using an Intel x540-t1 PCI-e card on each server.

Server have 128GB of RAM, all fully updates firmware wise, running ESXi 5.5 build 2068190.

I've also tested Veeam using the quick migration force mode, which I suppose is similar to the fastscp client in the past. Pretty much same result, around 500mbit.

Any suggestions how to speed up cold migration?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
mephistopoa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've updated the NIC drivers to 3.21.5, no difference at all. Still at 400-500mbit the cold migration, it doesn;t matter which host it is on, and storage is not the bottle neck as I have a bunch of very fast SSDs installed. If I do move the VM from one set of SSDs to another set, all in the same host, I get 1100MB+, but this is simply a datastore migration inside the same host, not using the network. This clearly shows it is not a storage bottleneck.

0 Kudos
mephistopoa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Got some more numbers, same interface is used for vMotion and cold migration (management network and vMotion on same network and NIC)

Moving VMs from one host to another, first cold migration, second vMotion, moving from one host to another host, no shared storage. It moves from one data store to the other.

Check the graphs attached

0 Kudos
asoroudi
Contributor
Contributor

We having been experiencing the same exact issue since we moved to 10Gb Nics & Switches last year. vMotion & VM to VM data transfers run close to 10Gb; cold migration or anything that uses the management network  is limited to 1Gb. All settings are correct.

Anyone with any ideas?

Thx.

0 Kudos
mephistopoa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm investigating the drivers, testing many different version. I may try ESXi6 next week but again, a lot of working testing something that seems so stupidly wrong by VMware.

VMware gets the open source driver from Intel and modifies it, so Intel can;t give any support.

cold migration for me doesn't even get close to 1gbit, always around 600mbit, very very very frustrating!!!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I have same issue too.

anybody have any idea about this issue? or vsphere 6.x still have the same issue?

thanks

0 Kudos
bernhard
Contributor
Contributor

Same here.
We also tested it with vsphere 6.5.

Could it be, that provisioning traffic is limited?

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
jdittric
Contributor
Contributor

Hm, I saw that same behavior in 6.7 and even in 7 U2 it is not gone. But I can't find anything on it. Did anyone else figure this one out?

0 Kudos
mggonzalez
Contributor
Contributor

This thread is 8 years old and I can't believe VMWare hasn't fixed this yet.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
mggonzalez
Contributor
Contributor

Not exacly, cold migrations (NFC) shows 1.3Gbps on this article.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

With "Provisioning" enabled on the VMkernel port group, cold migration will use the new UDT protocol.

André

0 Kudos
mggonzalez
Contributor
Contributor

I did this, max is 1.2Gbps

0 Kudos
sahinsu
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

On my HPDL380 server running ESXi 7.02, I have 2x 10Gb adapters directly connected to my QNAP TVS-863 NAS with 2x 10Gb adapters (w/o any switch in between).

I've never encountered a transfer rate higher than ~105 MBytes/sec on NFS. I also tried iSCSI, same.

The only reason I purchased 10Gbe adapters on both the DL380 and QNAP TVS-863 was to get higher throughput when making a cold copy from Esxi to NAS.

I don't think this problem is specific to just a few people writing on this forum. Has anyone using a 10Gb adapter really not experienced this problem? If Vmware thinks that the issue is not related to ESXi, I would be very pleased if they could state this in this forum. I don't even know where to look. Today I will upgrade my network cables from cat6a to cat7 and see the result. 

0 Kudos