VMware Cloud Community
AmmarSM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Slow VM

Hi

i connected to my physical host that runs ESXi 4 with vClient but the mouse movment in the VM is ver slow the responce isnt practical at all

how can i improve it ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I think what happens is that Windows is configured to not display all files and folder. In this case just paste the path into the search dialog box for the driver.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\wddm_video

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
32 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if it's windows 2003 then have a look here: http://www.leonardoborda.com/blog/mouse-slow-on-windows-2003-r2-running-on-vmware-server/ if it's windows 2008 then have a look here: http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1011709

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Have you installed the VM Tools?

Also, have you enabled hardware acceleration on your graphics driver?

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
AmmarSM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

im using vClient so don't know about VMware Tools i think its in VMworkstation right ?

0 Kudos
AmmarSM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

no its a windows 2008 R2

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you will need to install vmware tools then follow by my above link for the windows 2008 mouse fix tutorial.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

After installing a virtual machine, it's always a good idea to install VMware Tools. As mentioned, for Windows 2008 R2 you may replace the graphic card driver to get rid of the sluggish mouse. Make sure you increase the virtual machines video RAM before you install the driver, otherwise you may end up with a black screen! See http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1016770

André

0 Kudos
AmmarSM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

but how can i install the VMware tools ? also i tried it from 2 laptops one is Mac Pro same slow move, but in Mac Pro it was through windows virtual machine is there other option for mac ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'm a little bit confused. What are we talking about? VMware ESX, Fusion, Workstation, ...

Assuming it's VMware ESX and you are connected with the vSphere Client, open the VM's console and logon to the Windows 2008 VM, then select "Install VMware Tools" from the menu. The installation of VMware tools in your Windwso 2008 VM should now start automatically.

André

0 Kudos
AmmarSM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi

i mean i log through vClient to a VM running on a ESXi the VM is Windows 2008

also i tried to log to same ESXi host using vClient running inside a Fusion both was slow although Mac Graphics card is high tech

so let me install the tools and see what will happen

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

To install the VMtools (if you are using ESX, or ESXi) simply right click the VM, go to Guest -> Install VMTools,

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
opbz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

HI,

I see loads of people telling you to install vmware tools. Obviouswly that is critical. But also ensure you have Hardware acceleration turned up to the MAX. IT actually tells you to do this as part of your vmware tools install. Without this your mouse is sluggish...

0 Kudos
AmmarSM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Thanks alot your correct i installed the tools nothing happened now regarding the hardware acceleration how i can do it on a Mac Book pro

and Dell latitude ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There's nothing you need to do on the physical systems. The tools as well as the display drivers (WDDM as mentioned in an earlier post) are installed on the virtual machine only. Don't forget to adjust the video memory, as mentioned in the KB.

André

0 Kudos
opbz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi

You do this on the VM itslef not on the physical boxes.

0 Kudos
AmmarSM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks guys for all your support, but im new to vSphere here so can some one show me the steps to do this task

on the VM, not the VM tools but the hardware accelerator or WDDM whatever Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
AmmarSM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

by the way im connecting to ESXi 4 through vClient on Windows 7

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You only need to adjust the video RAM of the VM and replace the video drivers as explained in the KB article I mentioned in my previous post (http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1016770)

André

0 Kudos
AmmarSM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

so how much i should put the video ram for windows 2008 R2 guest and how much for windows 7 any recommendation ?

and will it take same size from the host video ram ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As mentioned in the KB

More than 8 MB of video RAM (32MB is recommend for best performance)

So set it to 32MB.

This does not have anything to do with the host's video RAM.

André

0 Kudos