VMware Cloud Community
DiGRem
Contributor
Contributor

Slow SMB on ESXi 4 & 5

Hi.  I am running ESXi 5 Free on a new HP ProLiant MicroServer which has the following spec.

AMD Athlon II Neo N36L Dual-Core 1.2GHZ

5GB RAM

2 * 250GB SATA HHD

Onboard 1GB NIC (Broadcom NetXreme BCM7523 GB Ethernet)

and I have installed Windows Server 2008 R2 and Exchange 2010 on it, and I have allocated 1 vcpu and 3GB of RAM.

I also have a WRT54G running DD-WRT and a Synology DS209j with 1 1TB HHD

My whole network is running at 100MB (I am soon to a get a 1GB Switch from work and a watchguard XTM23-W but that a different matter)

My issue is that I have a Windows7 Machine that I am getting very slow SMB file transfer from and too the windows 2k8 v machine,

its about 600Kbps :smileyshocked:

But i will get 10Mbps to and from the synology.

Before I got this server I was running the server 2008 on a Dual Core machine and I was also getting about 9 to 10 Mbps before I moved to ESXi and this machine, but this machine is faster them my old machine.

The install is a standard installation of ESXi and I have installed ESXi to a USB key on the MB of the HP server.

The networking on ESXi is all standard (I have configured the vswitch for 8 ports only)

The Windows 2k8 machine with the exchange is running great (I only have 2 users running from it)

Can anyone advise on why the throughput is so low ? or where / what I have done wrong

Thanks for the help

DiGRem

0 Kudos
1 Reply
philmee95
Contributor
Contributor

need another nic card probably. I just posted on another thread that my speeds were terrible until I drove down to work and plugged in another nic card for a migration. 1 nic for dedicated vmware management network, and 1 for vmware switch for vm traffic.

No idea what synology is, guessing a harddrive or nas. The linksys router should be fine. Windows 2008, well windows or computers in general do not seem to use all the available bandwidth for file trasfers no matter what. Windows 2008 is especially slow with large file transfers. You have network overhead, the computer overhead to process network traffic and TCP/IP also has it's own overhead. None of my servers ever seem to use more than 1-8% of the bandwidth they can no matter how fast I want them to work. I have a gig network and it will still take forever to move 4 gb files around.

0 Kudos