VMware Cloud Community
lanceb73
Contributor
Contributor

Single vmdk and 2 windows partitions

I have a virtual machine with 1 vmdk, this vm has 2 partitions on it. The one vmdk is 100GB and is partitioned into a 40GB and 60GB partitions. I am running low on space on the boot 40GB partition, normally what I try to do is give each partition there own vmdk that way if I need to extend the partition I just go into the vsphere client, add 20GB and go into windows and extend and I have the space I need. I know I can use vmware converter and extend the partition that way but what I would like to do is create a permanent fix for this. Can I clone the 60GB partition to a separate vmdk so I have 2 vmdk's 1 that holds the C: partition and the other that holds the 😧 partition. Then I want to go into windows and delete the original d: partition that way I could extend the c: so that I takes the full space of the original vmdk. Then I would rename the new separate partition on the new vmdk to the 😧 Anyone got any tips/tricks/your crazy for doing this that they can think of to this? I think the simplest way to add space would be to just use converter on the vm and give it say 20GB more when you do it but I'm looking for a more permanent solution that if I need additional space at anytime all I need to do is add some more space to the client then extend the partition

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You can use VMware Converter, and create 2 separate virtual disks on the target. Just select a volume based conversion in the converter's advanced disk options.

André

0 Kudos
lanceb73
Contributor
Contributor

By doing this it will create the 2 virtual hard disks and I will be able to boot the vm to it? Any gotchas that you can think of?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I did this a couple of times and it worked perfectly. If something doesn't work as expected you can always go back to the source VM.

André

0 Kudos