VMware Cloud Community
Kirkland
Contributor
Contributor

Simple setup for 2 physical servers with 4 VMs in each server

Hi there,

I am new to virtualization . sorry for this simple question.

I have a project need to setup 2 physical servers with 4 VMs in each server.  VMs in each physical server need cross replication.

I am trying to sort out what kind of software licenses need.

is my configuration below right?

1> each physical servers need 2 Microsoft Server 2012 Standard R2 ( as my understanding, each MS server 2012 R2 standard license can support 2 VMs, thus I need 2 licenses for 4 VM in each physical server)

2> I need 1 VSphere 6 essential kit.

3> in order to cross backup, I need vCenter. then I need another MS Server 2012 Essential R2 and vCenter license.

if above configuration is correct. then I am thinking why not just use MS Server Hyper-V 2012 Server which is very straight forward.

Attached is the configuration use Hyper-V recommended by my friend.

Thank you

Hyper V configuration.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Reply
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

correct, you need 2 MS Server 2012 Standard R2 licenses per physical server

Buy the vSphere Essentials PLUS kit. It licenses up to 3 hosts with dual CPU for ESXi and it comes with a vCenter Server license for up to 3 hosts.

Also the PLUS edition  enables you to use the vSphere Replication feature so you can replicate your VMs to the second server.

Be aware that vCenter server doesn't need to be installed on a Windows VM. It's also available as a virtual appliance based on SUSE Linux. It offers the same functionality as the windows vCenter version without the need to license a windows Smiley Wink

You can compare the edition features here:

Compare vSphere and vSphere with Operations Management Editions | United States

0 Kudos