VMware Cloud Community
sanassasin
Contributor
Contributor

Shuttle based ESXi box -suggestions & what do you have working?

I know that a few have put together SX38P2-Pro boxes for ESXi but has anyone got it working with any of the newer shuttle boxes?

I am looking to build a small box within a budget of 700 USD for the following uses:

1 - Virtual AD/File servers (replacing my NSLU2 domain controller and another ancient file server)

2 - Setting up some new servers for home automation

3 - Testing out VMs for work (Sharepoint, SQL and a whole slew of other things)

I want to avoid adding extra peripherals for basic functions but I am hoping to throw 3 to 4x 2.5" HDDs as opposed to 2x 3.5" HDDs in order to improve spindle count and also performance so what combination of hardware will work (maybe even an extra RAID card)?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sounds more like a job for an HP ML115 G5 to me :smileycool:

Please award points to any useful answer.

0 Kudos
sanassasin
Contributor
Contributor

If I could I would build something of that sort but my current place, my space is extremely limited. I know it can be done but I'm just unsure of the hardware and the work part just gained critical mass

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you're planning to use RAID you should be aware that most onboard RAID controllers like the Intel ICH*R or nVidia MCP families don't provide RAID with ESX(i) drivers. You'll also get a significant performance boost if you pick a RAID controller with battery backed write cache.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

New book in town - vSphere Quick Start Guide -http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/08/12/new-book-in-town-vsphere-quick-start-guide/.

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL - http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21.

0 Kudos
sanassasin
Contributor
Contributor

Based on your comment Dave, do you have any suggestions on the RAID card - I have a tight budget and because of some pressure, I guess I may end up going with a C2Q based one. The shuttle mentioned above.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Take a look at vm-help.com for a list of hardware ESXi can recognize. I'd look at LSI based controllers like the Dell Perc 5i. If performance is important get something with battery backed write cache.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

New book in town - vSphere Quick Start Guide -http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/08/12/new-book-in-town-vsphere-quick-start-guide/.

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL - http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21.

0 Kudos
sanassasin
Contributor
Contributor

After giving it some thought, my build is shaping up to be something along the lines of:

Intel C2Q 9400

8GB (2x4GB) DDR2 800

Intel 1000GT PCIe

WD Scorpio Blue 500GBx2 (2.5") type

Shuttle SG45H7

1 USB stick for ESXi 4

This may just break the budget cap but it would suffice for the moment. After all, this for home production/lab servers so to speak. As long as it can handle the VMs from work that I throw at it...all the while keeping my home AD and file servers online, I can use it.

0 Kudos
uyozTic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i plan to order this

shuttle SZ77r5

i7-3770 (non K)

32MB Ram

intel expi9402pt  dual port PCI-e

usb or SSD disk for esxi

already ordered :

synology 1512+

5x WD 2T Red disks

question:

when it comes to the passthrough capability such as video, is it suggested to get a CPU with graphics capability or a seperate card like a nVidia or ATI?

0 Kudos
uyozTic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i'll reply to me own post, i've added to me mix an alternative shuttle:

Shuttle box FX79 -  x79 chip set box with a i7-3930

if *anyone* has or knows of a link where they got graphics passthrough working let me know please.

thx

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

uyozTic wrote:

synology 1512+

5x WD 2T Red disks

Synology seem to be struggling with ESXi 5.1 at the moment - just take a quick search around this forum. Or better, Google, which will point you back here :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
uyozTic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hmmm, i see.

maybe i'll wait a bit before buying a x79 shuttle. more than likely will build me own if the wait is too long.

thx

0 Kudos