VMware Cloud Community
CJWI
Contributor
Contributor

Shutdown VM's and ESXi when UPS on battery. ESXi 5.0, vMA 5, Tripplite Poweralert.

Let me first explain the setup of my system.

I have a Hypervisor running ESXi 5.0(licensed version) with multiple virtual machines running assorted versions of windows.

My vMA is running SUSE Linux 11.

I have a Tripplite Poweralert UPS connected to the server via the serial connection.

I would like to set up the system so the virtuals and ESXi perform a graceful shutdown in the event of a power loss.

I am wondering if anyone has accomplished this in ESXi 5.0 with vMA 5 using the same, or even similar setup which I am using.

I have attempted to set this up using different tutorials and discussions from this site and others, however most of them point to earlier versions of ESXi and I was unable to get them to work.  Whether the version difference is the actual reason for my failures is yet to be determined since i am a relatvely novice user when it comes to Linux, vMA, and Hyperservers.

Any help or suggestions is highly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
danzig69
Contributor
Contributor

same situation here, if you have found something working, please tell me.

0 Kudos
danzig69
Contributor
Contributor

I've found a sollution, look at this post from me danzig69 30 march 2012

http://communities.vmware.com/message/2018571#2018571

I'm using PowerAlert Shutdown Console install on my vcenter server Win 2008 R2 x64 that use the "Execute Command" section of the software and SNMPWEBCARD in the UPS. So it's not a serial connection but network connection. I put c:\shutdown\shutdown.bat in the "Command to execute after delay". The content of the shutdown.bat

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin\vicfg-hostops.pl" -a poweroff -f --server=aaaaa --username bbbbbb --password ccccccc --operation shutdown

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware vSphere CLI\bin\vicfg-hostops.pl" -a poweroff -f --server=xxxxxx --username bbbbbb --password ccccccc --operation shutdown

A big warning, if your'e using a Redundant UPS configuration, the "Execute Command" don't respect the Redundant configuration and is executed even if only one ups goes in alarm!! Big problem. Already an open/closed case 314375 but they consider this as normal. I wish this will change in a futur release of the software poweralertSDA-app-12.04.0053-win.exe.

I'm able to shutdown 3 ESXi 5.0.0 build 623860 with a batch file (shutdown.bat)

JohnPetridis
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to know in the event of a power failure how can I do a graceful shutdown of my guests as well as my hosts.

Here is my setup.

IBM x3650M4 host x3

IBM DS3500 Fiber SAN

Tripp lite SU16000RT4UPM running power alert.

I also have a Linux VIMA server that I have inherited from a previous administrator but are unable to login (no password). How can I rebuild this and can I run this as a guest VM or should I run this as a physical unit?

0 Kudos
Doug74
Contributor
Contributor

Eaton has virtual appliance that can control 5.5 ESXi hosts (free up to 10 nodes) 

see: Eaton - Software Download - Intelligent Power® Manager

0 Kudos