VMware Cloud Community
Gamleur84
Contributor
Contributor

Shutdown ESXi when UPS on vCenter is low battery

Hi,

I have two ESXi 5.0 plugged into a Smart UPS 3000. Servers are in a cluster and HA has been configured

vCenter is installed on its own hardware and connected to the same Smart UPS 3000 with a USB cable..

What is the best way to properly shutdown all my guests and host when my UPS battery is low ?

Thank you !

0 Kudos
5 Replies
brucekconvergen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Install a Network Management card in your APC UPS, and install the Network Shutdown tools into an instance of VMA on one of the hosts.  The APC instructions for the ESXi PCNS program detail how to set it up.

Gamleur84
Contributor
Contributor

is it mandatory to have the network management card in the UPS ? The customer doesn't have this card and I even not sure if this model of UPS support this kind of card

0 Kudos
BryanWard
Contributor
Contributor

The PowerChute Network Shutdown (PCNS) software needs to communicate with the UPS and the Network Managment card allows that to happen.

What is the exact model number for your client's UPS?    

0 Kudos
MentalTheo
Contributor
Contributor

Gamleur84 wrote:

Hi,

I have two ESXi 5.0 plugged into a Smart UPS 3000. Servers are in a cluster and HA has been configured

vCenter is installed on its own hardware and connected to the same Smart UPS 3000 with a USB cable..

What is the best way to properly shutdown all my guests and host when my UPS battery is low ?

Thank you !

Hi, try to avoid using PCNS to shutdown ESX hosts as it is isuing command to shutdown HOST, which in case of a cluster mean powering off (non-graceful shutdown) guests, because you cannot configure host autostart/autoshutdown parameters in a cluster. I am using a powershell script initiated by UPS shutdown script residing on a vCenter server to shutdown whole virtual infrastructure.

Something like this will do http://www.sheenaustin.com/2011/02/20/vmware-ups-shutdown-script/

You may want to edit the script to suit your environment.

Should work fine even with USB connected UPS. Remeber that after power returns you have to manually start each guest (HA wont start them automatically). This may be a problem if outage happens during night and guests wont be up in the morning. In this case aditional powershell scripting should be made to start the guests.

admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Gamleur84

Welcome to the communites

You need to configure each node(guest) nic IP through software provided by your manufacturer.

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoe."
0 Kudos