VMware Cloud Community
carrothospital
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Shrinking a virtual disk (I know this has been discussed before...)

I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find a situation quite like mine and wanted to make sure I had all my options in front of me before I did anything.This is on a box with ESXi 4.1, build 260247.

I have a VM with two virtual disks: one for the OS, and one for Data. The one for data is 1.6TB and has two partitions: 1.1TB and a 500GB. I'd like to remove the 500GB partition, and then shrink the virtual disk by 500GB so that I can use that space on other VM's.

The most popular way I've found in my research is to use the VMware converter to make a copy of it and adjust the size of the disks. That however, doesn't seem like a very viable option. There's no extra local storage to place the convertered VM files on, so it would have to be written to a network device of some sort. That combined with the fact that I would have to copy the OS partition over too(which I don't need), makes this option way too slow.

My only idea is to copy all of the data off of the Data virtual disk, either to a network device or a USB drive(through the USB passthrough), delete the virtual disk, recreate it with the appropriate size, and copy the data back.

Is there an easier/quicker way to do this? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DPike
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, converter is the only option I'm aware of for shrinking a disk. However, due to you situation, I believe the copy is going to be the best method for you.

Another option is during the conversion to only select the data drive to convert in the new VM, shrink it, migrate it over and import it into the existing VM after deleting the other VM. Its a round about way, and may be slower, and will also require you to have the space, but it is another option.

Dustin Pike

VMware Certified Professional (VI3 & vSphere)

Virtual Blocks Blog

_________________ Dustin Pike VMware Certified Professional (VI3 & vSphere) Virtual Blocks Blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DPike
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Unfortunately, converter is the only option I'm aware of for shrinking a disk. However, due to you situation, I believe the copy is going to be the best method for you.

Another option is during the conversion to only select the data drive to convert in the new VM, shrink it, migrate it over and import it into the existing VM after deleting the other VM. Its a round about way, and may be slower, and will also require you to have the space, but it is another option.

Dustin Pike

VMware Certified Professional (VI3 & vSphere)

Virtual Blocks Blog

_________________ Dustin Pike VMware Certified Professional (VI3 & vSphere) Virtual Blocks Blog
0 Kudos
carrothospital
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, I was hoping for a miracle, but thanks for confirming the info I had.

0 Kudos