VMware Cloud Community
VSprague
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Shrink a Thin Provisioned VMDK

I have a thin provisioned VMDK that is 500GB. The actual Windows Partition is only 150gb. I would like to change the VMDK to a 150GB thick provisioned disk. What is the best way for me to go about doing that?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sumitgoel17
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you prefer GUI then use Converter otherwise vmkfstools is a powerful CLI command.

Web: www.sumitgoel.me | Twitter: sumitgoel17

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sumitgoel17
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If you prefer GUI then use Converter otherwise vmkfstools is a powerful CLI command.

Web: www.sumitgoel.me | Twitter: sumitgoel17
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vmkfstools -i will clone the disk to the exact size . but again we could change the descriptor value and then clone which would result the disk size to be shrinked. but its not advisable and could result in corruption.

I would recommend to use the VMware converter ( free software from VMware ) which is the best option. And the best part you can do it on the fly. where as vmkfstools would require a downtime.

Thanks,
Avinash

abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

As Avinash said use the converter. I did it using vmkfstools once for doing this and ran into multiple issues which included corruption. But i was working on a test machine. To be safe use the converter.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

VSprague
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I used the converter, thank you all.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Or even goto the VM folder, select and right click  the .vmdk file.

You will get and option "INFLATE". Inflating will make the disk from thin to thick. But the VM needs to be powered off

~dGeorgey

0 Kudos
Shocko
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I surprised this cannot be accomplished in the vCentre/Web gui at this stage.

0 Kudos