VMware Cloud Community
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Shrink Disk

I've got a vm running on an ESX 4 server. It's got a 60 GB hard drive but only using 10GB. I'd like to shrink the size of the disk, but I don't want to corrupt anything doing it. Is there a good way to do this?

Thanks,

Scott

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

If you use VMware converter you can safely shrink the disk.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

If you use VMware converter you can safely shrink the disk.

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So do I Export back to the same vCenter > resize the disk and give it a different name in vCenter > then delete the original?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
Chamon
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

That would work

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is there a way to do it without creating a whole new virtual machine?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

shrinking a disk is best done using converter as stated. Any other method, to me, just would not be safe.

jpdicicco
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Assuming you mean to conver the disk to Thin as in thin provisioning, rather than actually change the size under Edit settings for the VM, you can do this with svMotion.

If you actually want to shrink the disk, so the guest sees a smaller disk... Not sure.

If you are in Windows, I believe you can defrag (probably need a 3rd-party tool to move everything to the front of the partition), then use diskpart (or Disk Mgmt if you're on 2008) to shrink the partition. Then, you might be able to use VMware tools to shrink the VMDK file.

Of course, I haven't tried it myself yet. It's a fairly common technique, though most often applied when the OS is offline by using a LiveCD or mounting the HDD/VMDK to another system/VM.

Happy virtualizing!

JP

Please consider awarding points to helpful or correct replies.

Happy virtualizing! JP Please consider awarding points to helpful or correct replies.
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sounds good. I used converter and it worked. Thanks.

0 Kudos