VMware Cloud Community
AnatolyVilchins
Jump to solution

Should VMware trunkate the logs?

Hi guys,

Thats a kinda dumb question, but I can`t find the answer to it online. Please bare with me:)

So, lets say I have the  Exchange 2013/2016 VM. If I`m creating the snapshot from VMware itself, should it truncate the exchange transaction logs? Or that can be done only by cluster aware backup software?

Thank you in advance!

Kind Regards, Anatoly Vilchinsky
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vcallaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you're simply taking a snapshot of the VM, then application awareness is absent. Just snaps the VM as a whole. In order to truncate the logs you will need backup software that is application aware or built in Windows Backup. Smiley Sad

I do believe there is a Exchange plugin for VDP that will truncate those logs for you if you're using VDP.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vcallaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you're simply taking a snapshot of the VM, then application awareness is absent. Just snaps the VM as a whole. In order to truncate the logs you will need backup software that is application aware or built in Windows Backup. Smiley Sad

I do believe there is a Exchange plugin for VDP that will truncate those logs for you if you're using VDP.

0 Kudos
AnatolyVilchins
Jump to solution

Yeah, thats what I though....

Thanks a lot!

Kind Regards, Anatoly Vilchinsky
0 Kudos
AndyTimofeev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

But if snapshot is quesced one - then VSS Exchange writer was called in quest OS, so it should have done log truncate after completion?

0 Kudos