VMware Cloud Community
mvrk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Shared disk (multi-write) and controller bus sharing options

Hi,

I'm setting up a Linux cluster on 2 VMs and i need a shared disk.

The 2 VMs must run on different ESXi hosts.

At OS level, the shared disk will only be mounted on the active node, not at the both nodes at the same time (i will be using lvm/xfs and not a cluster filesystem)

I've setup a 2nd controller on each VM.

On VM01 created the shared disk (with Thick Eager Zeroed, Sharing Multi-Writer, Independent Persistent and assigned to the 2nd controller)

On VM02 added the existing disk from VM01 with the same options and also assigned to the 2nd controller.

Now from what i've read in documentation (https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSphere/6.7/com.vmware.vsphere.html.hostclient.doc/GUID-21970178-E...), the bus sharing of this 2nd controller should be configured in my case to Physical (because i want the 2 VMs to run on different ESXi hosts), but with Physical or Virtual i loose the option to create snapshots (becomes greyed out), and i need to backup this VMs (not the shared disk of course) using snapshots.

So i tried setting the bus sharing to none, and it works fine, including the snapshot options are available and work.

So my question is, is this supported (bus sharing configured to none)? What is the impact?

0 Kudos
0 Replies