VMware Cloud Community
FedeVMW
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Share Resources between 2 ESX 4.0 Hosts without a shared storage

Hello Guys,

I have the following question I would like to clarify.

Imagine we have 2 ESX 4.0 hosts with most functional license acquired (DRS, HA, VMotion, etc)

Both physical servers are identical. Don´t have access to any kind of shared storage (no SAN, no iSCSI, no NAS, etc)

In host #1 I installed all VMs using local storage.

Is it posible to use the resources of host #2 (memory and CPU) to give more power to host #1.

My doubt is if it is posible to have a VMs installed in local HD in host #1 and using RAM or/and CPU from Host #2.

Just make a cluster between both hosts to empower the resources of host #1 (not to use DRS or Vmotion features)

Let me know if I am explaining in a correct way or not.

Hope someone can clarify this to me.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jain
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It is not possible, Even if you have shared storage.

There is no possiblity that allows you to join CPU and Memory resources from 2 diffrent hosts.

Cheers,

~ Jain

~ Do not forget about points,if you found answer useful Smiley Wink

--------------------------------- *Jain* | VCP4 | +Please award points, if you found answer useful+

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jain
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It is not possible, Even if you have shared storage.

There is no possiblity that allows you to join CPU and Memory resources from 2 diffrent hosts.

Cheers,

~ Jain

~ Do not forget about points,if you found answer useful Smiley Wink

--------------------------------- *Jain* | VCP4 | +Please award points, if you found answer useful+
0 Kudos
karavinds1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is not possible even on a shared storage. You can take advantage of using VMotion, HA and DRS when used with a shared storage, otherwise there is nothing that is published/documented that says about the use of shared hardware resources of different hosts.

Regards,

Aravind K

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

Regards, Aravind K If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Note that system virtualization is a way to partion your system in several sub-resources.

Is not an aggregation solution (on a single VM).

What you mean is a HCP cluster (for example) that can aggregate the computing power of different nodes.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro