VMware Cloud Community
paynent
Contributor
Contributor

Setting up vSwitch can't ping between devices

Hello all. In a lab environment I am trying to create two virtualized esxi servers and a windows server OS all sitting on the same esxi host. The vswitch connecting them is default settings with no uplink, no vlan, no mtu changes. on the virtualized esxi hosts i have setup a vmkernal port on the uplink offered by the vswitch. All devices have an IP in 192.168.120.0/24 subnet. Why can't I ping between them in any direction.

pastedImage_0.png

This is my physical esxi host esxi02 is 192.168.120.11, 03 is .12, and iSCSI is .13

pastedImage_1.png
Here is one of the virtual esxi hosts, the physical adapter is the one attached to the vSwitch above:

The plan is to setup iSCSI from windows server as an educational practice, but I can't even get this far.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
david3b507
Contributor
Contributor

Hi paynet,

I'd suggest you change the default Security Policy in your virtual switch (the one with no uplinks) to Accept Promiscuous Mode.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Following on from the reply above, read this article: https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2013/11/why-is-promiscuous-mode-forged.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos