VMware Cloud Community
aetius1980
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Setting up a vmware lab

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to setup a Vmware test lab without purchasing a license?

I currently have a Vmware 5 Esxi host (Dell poweredge), but I would like to add another server and experiment with setting up high availability and the like. Is a HA lab setup possible on a trial basis?

Also, if I want to setup a lab for HA, vmotion, etc - what are the hardware requirements? I'm hoping I don't need to buy another Poweredge 2950.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd give a try with ESXi VMs to start with.  If you go with a NAS device, just make sure to check the compatability with ESXi 5.  I beleive there were some devices that worked with ESXi 4, but not with ESXi 5.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you install ESXi and vCenter, both default to a 60 day eval for the Enterprise Plus licensing level, so you would be able to test any feature assuming you have the infrastructure to support it.

Are you planning to use another physical host?   You can create a cluster with Enhanced vMotion Compatability (EVC) which allows host with different CPU models (you can't mix Intel/AMD CPUs) to run in the same cluster.  The VMs get a virtual CPU  that is based on a CPU model that all hosts can support.  That way you don't have to get another exact match to your existing server.  For some features like HA you'll require shared storage.  If you don't have a SAN you could run a virtual SAN for your testing.

You can also do this on a single host.  You could create a couple of virtual ESXi servers, virtual vCenter host and a virtual SAN.  You'd be looking at needing about 8 - 10 GB of RAM allocated just to that.   You could then run a nested VM (it could be 64 bit depending on the CPU of your current host) which could be configured for vMotion, HA, etc.  You can also do this on a powerful workstation or laptop running VMware Workstation.

aetius1980
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cheers for the reply Dave, much appreciated 🙂

I have a Dell Poweredge  2950 with 2 quad core Xeon processors and 16GB of RAM. I want to buy a NAS (maybe a cheap QNAP) and maybe a cheap server (such as a Poweredge 1950) to set it all together, am looking at a budget of around £400 in total.

My main purpose for the lab is to gather a much better understanding of Vmware. Currently I only know the basics and would like to play around with the more advanced features.

If you have any recommendations, feel free to add...

Thanks

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd give a try with ESXi VMs to start with.  If you go with a NAS device, just make sure to check the compatability with ESXi 5.  I beleive there were some devices that worked with ESXi 4, but not with ESXi 5.

0 Kudos