VMware Cloud Community
Mukz9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Setting up VMWare Home Lab

Hi,

I am setting up the VMware home Lab using the link below and I've reached a stage where I need to install the vCenter.

http://boerlowie.wordpress.com/2011/12/07/building-the-ultimate-vsphere-lab-part-8-vcenter/

I downloaded the vCenter from the link below and it is an ISO (disk image) file with the name VMware-VIMSetup-all-5.5.0-2105955-20140901-update02.

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/evalcenter?p=vsphere-55

As this being an ISO file, I assume, it will have  to be mounted on the Virtual Machine where I need to install the vCenter server. I have used VMWare Work station 10 to create VMs. So, can some one please assist on how to mount this ISO file on the VM running Windows server 2008 R2 guest OS?

Thanks,

Muks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Wh33ly
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

1. Open VMware console window and right click on the virtual machine on which you want to mount ISO images.
  2. From the appeared list click on Settings.
  3. On Virtual Machine Settings box from the left pane click on CD/DVD (IDE) and from the right pane select Use ISO image file radio button.
  4. You can now click on Browse button to locate any ISO image file in case you want to mount it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Wh33ly
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

1. Open VMware console window and right click on the virtual machine on which you want to mount ISO images.
  2. From the appeared list click on Settings.
  3. On Virtual Machine Settings box from the left pane click on CD/DVD (IDE) and from the right pane select Use ISO image file radio button.
  4. You can now click on Browse button to locate any ISO image file in case you want to mount it.
0 Kudos
Mukz9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you very much for the response. It has worked.

Many Thanks,

Muks

0 Kudos
ammar66
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I am totally new to VMware, I want to make a home lab & virtualization with VMware ESXi 5+, vSphere etc or any VMware product you have worked on successfully. Would you help me to build a home lab with the following hardware available with me.

Two Dell computers 780 quad core 2.4Mhz

8 GB RAM on each

320 HDD on each

I want to make one computer for VMware bare metal installation with virtual machines on it.

Thanks

ammar66

0 Kudos
Mukz9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Ammar,

The link below covers detailed information on how to set up the VMware home lab. Also, if you are new to VMware, the information given in the link below will be very useful as it all the instructions in detail and so it is relatively easy to follow and implement. 

The link below also has details about the configuration that is required to set up the home lab. Looking at your server details, I think you may want to increase the memory capacity as it will give your more headroom to play around with additional VMs and resource pools. Also, you want to consider SSD as it will help to boost the response time for some of the VMs hosting critical services like DC, SQL, VC etc.

http://boerlowie.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/building-the-ultimate-vsphere-lab-part-1-the-story/

Further, the link below has references to some of the links from where you can download the trial version of the software that will be required to set up the lab. It also has the details of the configuration that I have used to set up the VMware home lab.

CONFIG FOR VMWARE ESXi 5.1 HOME LAB

Also, while you set up the home lab, it would be good to understand the  basics of virtualisation. The link below has an excellent source of documentation that can help you understand the fundamental concepts of VMware ESXi.

VMware vSphere Documentation

Thanks,

Muks

0 Kudos
ammar66
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Muks,

First of all I thank you for nice and help full response.

In above links you have provided me, are based on windows, ie installation of vmware workstation first and then other vm products and build home lab.

But my question was to install VMware ESXi on bare metal machine, and maintain this server through vsphere, & create VMs at esxi server.

I do not know what to do, So please guide me whether I should go through your option, or if you have a knowledge how to build home lab with installation of  vmware escxi 5+ on bare metal machine and handle it via vshpere 5+ and create VMs,&  deal through DC (Windows server 2008 r2) on one of the VM on ESXi server.

Thanks gain.

Ammar

0 Kudos
Mukz9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Ammar,

Firstly, apologies, I could not respond soon. I have personally not installed ESXi on bare metal, however, am sure if you search the net, you will find many useful links that can guide you on the installation of ESXi on bare metal. Below copied is one such link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN9mc9YNiC0

Also, before you start with the installation, whether it is directly on bare metal or on some underlying OS like windows etc, make sure your hardware and OS meets compatibility requirements for the given ESXi version. The link below covers the compatibility details

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

Regards,

Muks

0 Kudos
ammar66
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

Thank you dear,

I'll go through the video link you provided and will try to install & configure the same.

Ammar

0 Kudos
ammar66
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

First of all I am thankfull for providing information for VMware installation.

With your help, I have been able to install successfully VMware ESXi 5.5 on my bare metal server and configure its static IP, hostname etc,

(Note: I have only one pNIC (physical network card) and one internet connection.)

Also Installed VSphere 5.5 (client) on another machine with windows server 2008 r2, through this I can access my VMware server.

Now my scenario is to have;

1. Two or Three virtual machines for applications and databases installation, these virtual machines should not be directly accessed on the internet.

2. One virtual machine for domain controller (windows server 2008 r2 with Active directory domain services), through this machine I may access my application residing on virtual machines at sr. # 1 above.

3. So, here the problem with me is how to create/set virtual switch(s) for domain controller and other virtual machines. (please do remember that I have only One pNIC (physical network card) on the server.

I have search/googled, tried,  but the networking seems some typical.

If your have your personal experience & I shall be very gratefull, if you share with me and guide me step by step.

thanks

Ammar

0 Kudos