VMware Cloud Community
max2479
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Setting up Microsoft Cluster

Hi All,

I followed this guide: http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/topic/com.vmware.ICbase/PDF/vsphere-esxi-vcenter-server-50-mscs-gu...

to setup clutser. Added my first Quorum disk as RDM (virtual), SCSI 1:0. When i add the same disk to my second node, i get this error message when powering on.

"An unexpected error was received from the ESX host while powering on VM vm-329.
Reason: Failed to lock the file.
Cannot open the disk '/vmfs/volumes/4fa9769c-f8aaa808-ee31-00221924bc69/db07/db07_10.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

Any ideas?

> if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers <
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Don't mix up physical and virtual compatibility mode for the RDMs with "SCSI Bus Sharing" for the controller. In case of a single host, the "SCSI Bus Sharing" for the controller (not the disks) has to be set to virtual.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

You need to change setting for scsi controller for vm

If you are setting across box MSCS ,then make scsi controller phyical in both the vm

if you are setting in box MSCS (both node in same host) ,then make scsi controller virtual in both the vm.

you need to power off the vm for doing this setting.

VM->edit setting-> scsi controller (of rdm)-> phyical /virtual

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

are you clustering across ESX Hosts?  If so, you'll need the RDMs to be in physical compatibility modes

0 Kudos
max2479
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

the first box was off. I have added RDM as virtual with SCSI 1:0

on the second server as powered off I Click Add, select Hard Disk, and click Next.

Select Use an existing virtual disk and click Next. By Editing both VMs it shows SCSI (1:0) and Virtual.
> if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers <
0 Kudos
max2479
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

both VMs were on the same host. I will try as physical on different hosts.

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Are you using across box (Two esx servers ) for MSCS ,they you  need to use phyical compatiblity for scsi controller.

In both the vms you need to use virtual / phyical compatiblity according to you requirement.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Don't mix up physical and virtual compatibility mode for the RDMs with "SCSI Bus Sharing" for the controller. In case of a single host, the "SCSI Bus Sharing" for the controller (not the disks) has to be set to virtual.

André

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

correct as a.p. mentioned setting must be for scsi controller.

0 Kudos
max2479
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SCSI Bus Sharing was my problem. thank you

0 Kudos
IT_Vision
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi MAX2479,

I am attempting a similar setup using RDMs for MSCS across physical boxes.  I add the RDMs to the first VM on Host1, then when I go to add the RDM to the second VM on another host by choosing "Use an existing virtual disk" the same error comes up.  My shared storage is iSCSI SAN so I am not sure if this is supported with iSCSI SAN vs FC SAN.  Let me know what ended up working for you.

Cheers

0 Kudos