VMware Cloud Community
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Setting second nic (second WAN IP) to same default VLAN

Simple VM network.

We currently have all VM's on the default VLAN. I will be moving the Exchange server to a separate physical port that has a different WAN IP but I want it to remain on the default VLAN with all the other VM's.

Having some difficulties setting up. Can someone point me in the right direction?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I understand now - this really is not something requiring a change with your vSphere environment - Since both cables should be coming into your firewall you will need to make sure your firewall is configured so that the public IP assigned to the mail server is passed through to the internal IP address on your Exchange Server.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Unless the new WAN IP is on the same subnet/vlan you will not be able to do that. You will need to set up a secomd virtual NIC for the VM - the new NIC will need to be on a virtual switch that has the new physical NIC that is on the other network -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thx weinstein5!

We are getting a block of 5 from our provider so the WAN IP will be on that same block and have the same gateway. Internally, they will all be on a /24 network and need full connectivity. It's just that we need the WAN IP of the Exchange server to be different from all the other servers (it will have a separate physical connection from the firewall).

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are the 5 IP addresses you are receiving from your ISP public address or private? If they are Public will you have a firewall/router between your environment and the internet?

If they are private than you will want to add a second NIC to your exchange server and assign ine of the 5 IP addresses to that NIC

Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

These are public IP's that will hit the firewall first. We have one physical cable on one public IP that will be for all the others servers. We have another physical cable on a different public IP that will be for the Exchange servers' WAN side. Internally, the Exchange server is keeping the same IP that it has on the default VLAN and switch (along with all the other servers).

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I understand now - this really is not something requiring a change with your vSphere environment - Since both cables should be coming into your firewall you will need to make sure your firewall is configured so that the public IP assigned to the mail server is passed through to the internal IP address on your Exchange Server.

0 Kudos
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Funny, that's exactly the conclusion I came to when I got a second opinion from *a different* network engineers.

It's just going to be a 1-1 NAT on the FW for the required services.

Thx for your help!

Message was edited by: Alceryes

0 Kudos