VMware Cloud Community
dr_nuke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Setting bios help request ata_cam option & camcontrol

Hi.

I'm confused about the following log message I'm getting from FreeBSD (nas4free) 9.1 running in a VM.

ATA disk:

---------

atacontrol:

ATA_CAM option is enabled in kernel.

Please use camcontrol instead.

I selected the option to restart showing the BIOS but I can't find any way to set this for the attached Seagate 3TB drives (ZFS Pool Mirrored).

I have the Nas4Free VM running on ESXi 5.1.  The drives are on passthrough.  They are attached to a ServeRaid M1015 SAS/SATA card in IT mode.  I don't know if the problem is that the drives are in passthrough or if I've missed the hard drive option somehow to change the setting in the BIOS.

I think I would need to set the BIOS to do ACHI but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It does not look like the problem with ESX server, since you are able to see the disks. A googling returned a common problem with FreeBSD itself.

0 Kudos
dr_nuke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I've seen a number of the FreeBSD discussions.  What I understood from those discussions was that the user seeing the problem had the drives set as IDE or something other than ACHI in the BIOS.  That is why I tried to figure out how to change the ESXi BIOS for the drives.   I'm pretty new to ESXi and this is my first install.

The ESXi BIOS doesn't have the ZFS drives listed.  I thought perhaps I couldn't find the correct BIOS setting (??).  The only drive listed is the VM Freebsd drive.  I can't see the actual ZFS drives on passthrough in the BIOS.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos