VMware Cloud Community
spf62
Contributor
Contributor

Setting an Alarm on storage adapters

We ran into an issue the other day with one of our Storage Adapters losing a channel, just by accident someone noticed the light was off.

Is there any way to setup an alarm or notification when these types of events happen?

Any help is appreciated

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

When you right click the host, you have the option to create an alarm (in vCenter, not standalone). By monitoring for specific events, you can creative a few triggers which trigger on storage related changes, for example Lost Storage Connectivity, or Lost Storage Path Redundancy. You can then let vCenter show an alarm, and even send an e-mail and / or SNMP trap.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi, Before setting alarm have u configured smtp setting on your host so that you can send notification via mail.. Setting alarm is easy task.. right click on host or vecenter from where you want to motiter your storage adapter and go in alrm tab ...in the definition tab check weather there is already any definition to this storage adepter of not..is yes edit the setting ..in the trigger setting and define mail id and alarm setting.. i

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

you can setup alarm for each and every issue that would happen in V center. there are many software available for setting up alarm for the vcenter issue. for me, the best way as free,  i would always  configure alarm in vcenter and send email notification to our email account. or else we can monitor all those alarm thru your operation manager monitoring software by creating event logs in vcenter installed Windows OS.  please review this kb

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101802...

more over you may configure different levels of alarm in v center.  but the best practices is always do root level alarm configuration. please read esxi manual material and also please review this web http://vmfocus.com/2012/08/12/setting-up-configuring-alarms-in-vcenter-5-part-1/

0 Kudos
spf62
Contributor
Contributor

I have SMTP setup and I have many customized alarms, but specifally I was looking at setting an alarm for the storage adapters...which I cannot find anywhere.

Thanks for your suggestions

0 Kudos