I want to change Path Policy on ONLY ONE Datastore to Round Robin. This is currently set to Most Recently Used.
I found one vmware KB article 2000552 explaining to change this. But still not clear;
This 1 Datastore is connected to 5 hosts.
1) Do I need to login into each host (putty) and apply the command?
2) How to know which policy needs to be set to RR, as after loging into one host and executing below command, lists storage array type as attached in "Path Policy 2".
# esxcli storage nmp satp list
3) Please let me know step by step commands.
4) Is Host reboot or any other such restart is required that may impact production hours?
5) Can this be simply done through vSphere Client?;
Select RUNTIME NAME ==> drop down path selection, select RR ==> click CHANGE
Appreciate your help in advance.
No reboot is required.
You have to make changes in all the hosts that you want the policy to be changed on.
Command will vary to your ESX/ESXi version, best is to refer the documentaion for exact command on changing the policy.
I have not had to do a reboot. I've changed many of our datastores to RR from the default VMware (Fixed) policy. I have seen I/O go active on all paths without a reboot.
Also you dont need to do this via command line it can be done in vCenter.
Select your host - configuration tab - storage - right click the datastore and select properties, you can change it to RR in 'manage paths'.
Remember that this policy is host based, meaning if you change it to RR on say DATASTORE1 on HOST1 if you look at DATASTORE1 on HOST2 it will not have RR unless you set it there as well.
Anybody knows what will be impact on running VMs.
We have same scenario on HP storage currently the LUNs have MRU path selection policy set & now HP suggested to change it to Round Robin.
But we are in middle of that if we directly change it from datatstore level will that impact on running VMs or any performance degradation will happen.
We have thought to mirate all the running VMs on another datastore & make the changes on empty datastore.
Can anyone please answer my queries?