VMware Cloud Community
vivasindustries
Contributor
Contributor

Set up bandwith and maximum net speed for a VPS ?

Hello dear community.

I have maybe a pretty supid question.

I have installed ESXi 6.0 and now i am wondering can i set up specific trafic/bandwith for a VPS ?

Is it possible and how can be tracked ?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Simoly configure the (virtual) network interface inside your VMs according to your needs (e.g. switch down to 100 or even 10 MBit).

0 Kudos
vivasindustries
Contributor
Contributor

I don't find this at all.

How can i configure the monthly bandwith/trafic ?

0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

You would need something in between your virtual server and the network/internet to measure the traffic. But this has nothing to do with VMWare and is 3rd party software you need.

0 Kudos
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

you can pass the different traffic based on the VLAN and port group. The speed depend upon the backend network speed.

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

Create one more VM, install some advanced router/firewall distribution (i.e. pfSense, OpenWRT, RouterOS, etc) and use this VM as router for all other VMs. That's the way to do advanced traffic management for VMs. ESXi alone can not do it...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
cykVM
Expert
Expert

From your other posts you are on a PPPoE (presumably xDSL) connection. I wonder if the actaul connection is limited in terms of a monthly traffic amount if it's worth to put some kind of traffic limiter on the VPS's connection.

Do you want to provide VPSs/services to other people or is it just for personal use? If you provide services to other people I won't definitely do that with a xDSL connection as usually this is asychronous having a high download rate and a much lower upload rate. It simply makes no sense if your upload is for example 1 or 2 MBit and you limit the connection of the VPS to 100, 10 or even 1 MBit after x amount of traffic.

0 Kudos