VMware Cloud Community
DavidWells
Contributor
Contributor

Set the ESXi 4.0 Default Switch

Hello,

I have an ESXi server with two NICs and three virtual switches. I would like to change the default switch from NIC 0 to a virtual switch so that a new VM's NIC card won't be connected to the lan.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Simply create a new vSwitch with a VM portgroup not attached to any nic. place your VMs on this new portgroup.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Technical Support Engineer

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
DavidWells
Contributor
Contributor

That will not stop the office lan switch from being selected by default when you create a new VM

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

No, will not. But if you start to create a VM with the customized settings, you can change the network where it is attached in the wizard time. Is this a big deal?

Marcelo Soares

Globant Argentina

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
DavidWells
Contributor
Contributor

It's not a matter of it being a big deal. My company probably creates a dozen VMs a week, and almost none of them should be on the office lan, but people forget. If I can change the default virtual switch, it will cut down VMs from being on my corporate lan when they shouldn't.

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Didn't really find a way. It seems not to sort alphabetically or anything - just by creation time. You can create a vmkernel port on another vSwitch, login with the client to this other interface and delete the first one. After that change the IP of he newly created vmkernel and you will have a management interface.

I really think that on the alt+f2 screen physically you are able to change the nic, but don't remember if this will work or not for your case.

Marcelo Soares

Globant Argentina

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
DavidWells
Contributor
Contributor

I'll try this out. Thanks for the advice.

0 Kudos