VMware Cloud Community
giubal
Contributor
Contributor

Set Virtualization features on VMs

Hello guys,

I have a ESXi 4.1 based on DL380G6 for testing environment. I have to test KVM so I installed a CentOS VM to fill my needs.

Checking the /proc/cpuinfo seem that virtualization features in not set for the VM, how can I set the ability to build nested VMs.

Thanks & regards

0 Kudos
5 Replies
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

VMware now has a setting  that provides you control over the number of cores per CPU in a virtual  machine.

To implement this  feature:
  1. Power off the virtual  machine.
  2. Right-click on the virtual  machine and click Edit Settings.
  3. Click  Hardware and select CPUs.
  4. Choose the number of  virtual processors.
  5. Click the  Options tab.
  6. Click General, in the  Advanced options section.
  7. Click  Configuration Parameters.
  8. Include cpuid.coresPerSocket in the Name column.
  9. Enter a value (try 2, 4,  or 😎 in the Value column.

Note: Ensure that  the number of vCPUs is divisible by the number of  cpuid.coresPerSocket in the virtual machine. That is,  when you divide the number of vCPUs by the number of cpuid.coresPerSocket, it must return an integer value.  For example, if your virtual machine is created  with 8 vCPUs, coresPerSocket can only be 1, 2, 4, or  8.
    The virtual machine now appears to the operating system as having  multi-core CPUs with the number of cores per CPU given by the value that you  provided in step 9.

10. Click  OK.
  11. Power on the virtual  machine
Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
giubal
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Umesh,

thank you for the fast answer, I applied your suggestion but nothing seem to be changed. Probably I have not explained in a right way my problem.

I need to create a VM (CentOS) that have to host other VM using KVM.

Running "virt-manager" I get the following error:

Error polling connection 'qemu:///system': internal error Cannot find suitable emulator for x86_64

running egrep ‘(vmx|svm)’ /proc/cpuinfo command no output is returned, so I suspect that Intel-VT features for the VM in not enabled.

I also configure the VM to start running the BIOS tool at the startup but the option to enable virtualization is not present.

Thanks & Regards

0 Kudos
VTsukanov
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This may be helpful..

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8970

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
giubal
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to all for the help,

ESXi doesn't support this feature. I will have to upgrade my ESXi host.

Regards

0 Kudos