VMware Cloud Community
amitmvyas
Contributor
Contributor

Set Multipathing policy to Fixed via PowerCLI

Hi,

I am looking for PowerCLI script which can help me to assign multipath policy to Fixed for the datastore assigned to approx 20 hosts in one cluster

I am running following command but its show error

Get-Cluster "Cluster Name" | Get-VMhost | Get-ScsiLun -CanonicalName "naa.6006016069d03a005e84537b452ae511" -LunType disk | Set-ScsiLun -MultipathPolicy Fixed

Set-ScsiLun : 15-07-2015 03:08:17    Set-ScsiLun   If the MultipathPolicy

parameter is set to 'Fixed', you must specify the PreferredPath parameter.

At line:1 char:147

+ Get-Cluster "Customer Grid06 Cluster" | Get-VMhost | Get-ScsiLun -CanonicalName "naa.6006016069d03a005e84537b452ae511" -LunType disk | Set-ScsiLun <<<<  -MultipathPolicy Fixed

+ CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Set-ScsiLun], InvalidArgument

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Core_SetScsiLun_TryValidateParameterList_PreferredPathNoSpecified,VMware.VimAutomation.ViCore.Cmdlets.Commands.Host.SetScsiLun

Not getting any clue where I am failing on this ? to assign Fixed policy to 20 hosts manually its bit pain

Regards,

Amit Vyas

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

I went about this a little different.  I ran the get-scsilun command and exported to CSV and gathered the model information and then wrote the script below.  We had a EMC CX3 that required MRU and a DMX & VMAX that required RR... 

foreach ($vmhost in (get-datacenter -Name "Datacenter" | Get-VMHost)) {

Get-VMHost -Name $vmhost | Get-ScsiLun -LunType "disk"|where {$_.Model -eq "Raid 5"}| where {$_.MultipathPolicy -eq "RoundRobin"}| set-scsilun -Multipathpolicy MostRecentlyUsed

Get-VMHost -Name $vmhost | Get-ScsiLun -LunType "disk"|where {$_.Model -eq "SYMMETRIX"}| where {$_.MultipathPolicy -ne "RoundRobin"}| set-scsilun -Multipathpolicy RoundRobin

Get-VMHost -Name $vmhost | Get-ScsiLun -LunType "disk"|where {$_.Model -eq "VRAID"}| where {$_.MultipathPolicy -eq "RoundRobin"}| set-scsilun -Multipathpolicy MostRecentlyUsed

}

Hope this helps.

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
marksie1988
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Amit,

The issue you are seeing is because you dont specify which path the LUN should be using, something similar to this should work for you:

Get-Cluster "Cluster Name" | Get-VMhost | Get-ScsiLun -CanonicalName "naa.6006016069d03a005e84537b452ae511" -LunType disk | Get-ScsiLunPath | Select -First 1 | Set-ScsiLun -MultipathPolicy Fixed

I have added this:

Get-ScsiLunPath | Select -First 1

What this will do is pull back all of the possible paths, it will then select the 1st path, then when you set to fixed it knows to use the 1st path. you could change this to use a specific path if required.

Regards

Steve

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Steven Marks VCP5-DCV http://www.spottedhyena.co.uk
0 Kudos